Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A different idea for a shop

Re: A different idea for a shop

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] "Uverloaded" is a subjective term. Which axle was overloaded? Did that Dodge have dual wheels in the rear? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We have a gooseneck van trailer that puts us at 21,000 gross behind my pickup, and every axle is well within good working limits. Of course a gooseneck has the advantage of loading the tow vehicle farther forward and actually adding front axle weight. I can pull long, steep, grades alongside the 80,000 pounders in 3rd-Under at about 25-28 MPH; that seems to be a good speed to keep out of everyone's way. When I first put this combination together I was so concerned about the rear axle that I installed a temp gauge to monitor the lube oil temperature. I have seen it at 265, but that is not abnormal for a gear box. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A lot of the fifth wheel travel trailers and a diesel tow pickup will gross about 24K, and those folks think all is well with the world. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

But Dave, the dealer said I could do it!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Check out some of the SUV's and 1/2 tonners out there. It's downright scary. I try to keep away from anybody dragging a housetrailer. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

3/4 Ton and about 8000 pounds overthe limit. Remember there was a camper on the truck with a bumper hitch trailer. This is a big difference from a gooseneck.

Egon.

"I've been thinking about building a shop, 30x40x14....."

Gofurit Handy!! If you are at 4' centers for the inside, make outside at least 3" longer to compensate the stud width. When pouring concrete for my 39x51 barn slab they put crashed rock in fiberglass "sandbags" and stacked um around (18" inside the form to build perimeter edge of footer) then filled inside the bags with lose fill. Cover with 6mil plastic moisture barrier as well.
    I do a lot of freeway (I24 & I40) driving in our suburban observing the drivers around me, and I commend you (truck drivers) puttin up with the knotheads you mentioned, especially around music city. I like the bumper sticker I saw the other day"Hang up and drive".
    I give trucks the right of way, just a driving courtesy I guess, but my experiance tells me to stay out o the way of bigger then me vehicles. I don't try to defy the laws of physics... only one solid can occupy one space at any given time... Anyhow, hope your shop turns out well. (I'm still tryin to get a metal roof on mine....)
    rg

roho, my garage is 3 car. the Miracle Steel brand building is 36 by 48 feet with 12 ft wall height. I have a 21 by 48 shed on one side. It is all open span steel truss constructon with "I" beam columns. The center door is 14 ft high and will clear the stack of any legal tractor (13' 6" on interstate). This is 3 bays with 3 doors, each bay is about 12 ft wide. There are no obstructons or interior columns. I did subdivide the building into two 36 by 24 areas. One is the 3 door garage and the other is a shop. I finished the shop end as a two story with 10 ft ceilings on ground floor and 12 in the upstairs. Pt dormers on both sides of the upstairs to gain floorspace and made attic closets to capture back the rest of the floor space where ceiling is too low.

Roof is 12:12 pitch. Roof peak in 30 ft above slab. The garage half is fully open cathedral ceiling as I didn't need any more "upstairs" floor space although a retrofit to add it to upstairs shop would be easy or a mezanine floor for the garage would be doable also. I elected to not use automatic garage door for center door as it would be a tad expensive and not used as much as the shorter doors which I did automate. ON the 14 ft tall door I use a chain pull wench style opener and it is so easy and smooth a pre-schooler can do it.

I also extended the center bay 6 ft into the shop area so the divider wall is not straight but has a bite out of it. The ceiling above that "bump out" is just over 14 feet too. This is just in case I need to ever garage something longer than aouit 24 feet. Cab with big sleeper?

There are pix of all this in the house building section (Oklahoma farm house thread)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> </font color> wench style opener

Never heard of this type of opener?? Does your wife know you have one of those?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hello Pat, I try to keep up with YOUr building pics &amp; think I found the pic of the garage! Is it just one or more! Could YOU give me page numbers of pages where they are? Really liked the interior shot I saw! roho

Egon, You may suspect (sub rosa) that she is the wench in question. I can't confirm or deny it here.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

roho, maybe if I get time I will do a public service kinda thing and publish a table of contents for the farmhouse thread... at least the pix.

Hey Pat this ain't GatorBoy U'r emailing to! If I wanted negativity I'd go somewhere else! Just thought U had the page Number sorry for asking!