Thread: Invasive Plants

Invasive Plants

I bought property several years ago, and have been slowing learning about and battling invasive plants (as well as the well-loved native poison ivy, and a few others).

Between the multiflora rose, tree of heaven, mile-a-minute, honeysuckle bushes, johnson grass, thisle, and now wine berry, I am asking myself what the heck was the previous owner doing - trying to grow all this stuff?

The worst part of trying to make an effort to control many of these plants is that it's a long term effort. It will take me several years just to get the honeysuckle under control. I feel like buying stock in whoever makes roundup, they'll be getting a lot of business from me over the coming years.

Am I the only person who is overrun with non-native plants?

Re: Invasive Plants

<font color="blue">( I am asking myself what the heck was the previous owner doing - trying to grow all this stuff? ) </font color>

Most likely the previous owner did not plant these -- you can thank the birds and wind for that.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I know you are right, but it really burns me that just a little property maintenance years ago keeps these plants from getting out of control.

I know I won't be here forever, and I feel obligated to try to keep my property in the best shape possible for whoever owns it in the future. I hope future owners feel the same way.

I do have a handle on the thisle and johnson grass. I girdled several large trees of heaven, and pulled and cut about three of four hundred small ones last winter. I'll be out to spray any leftovers soon. Right now I'm off to take care of a little Jimson weed around the barn. Got to keep that away from the horses.

You can put some blue marker dye in with the roundup so you don't keep spraying the same plant over again. You can get it at TSC (Tractor Supply). By the way, since whoever makes roundup has lost its patent, you can get pretty much anything that has Glysophate in it and it should work. If you can get some Remedy, thats works very well too. Roundup and Remedy are liquid gold for the price you pay.

Dick

Dick

I think we all have these types of plants.

Have you looked into something called "Super Brush Killer" (do a google search for the different companies)? For what you're trying to kill, it may work better.

Honcho Plus is the same thing as Roundup, it is just much cheaper. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

The contents of three glyphosate formulations are listed below.

Rodeo®: glyphosate (53.5%) and water (46.5%)

Accord®: glyphosate (41.5%) and water (58.5%)

Roundup®: glyphosate (41%), polyethoxylated tallowamine surfactant (15%) and water (44%)

I recommend buying some SurfKing or other surfactant to mix with your generic Roundup.

Remedy needs some surfactant too. Some add diesel.
    Grazon P+D is good too but you need an applicators permit.

Glyphosate is glyphosate regardless the name of the product containing it. Look for the most glyphosate per dollar. Percentage of glyphosate is not the guiding attribute. All of the commercial preparations are strong enough. Check the prices of the concentrate as it is sometimes cheaper to add your own water.

The dye is a good idea as well so you can see where you have been. They make ceiling paint now that goes on pink and turns white as it dries. Way easier to keep track of where you have been... same idea.

Use at 0.3 to 4.0 pounds of active ingredient per acre. Apply after leaves expand fully but before fall color change. Seeme to work best after a rain when plants are growing but that is not a requirement.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"