Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Hello, my family and I are looking for a change. We moved to farm life and love it. But, being in TX, has it's problems. No seasons, no cold, no snow...... I lived in TN back in 1980 for a few short years as a child growing up and just fell in love with it.

I know it's all changed. What I am asking for, is a good idea of how things have changed and the places that are still good quiet country locations in the state.

I lived in Arrington, TN those some years back. At that time, it was quiet and country. Now, it has exploded beyond belief. I am looking for input.

We want 10-40 acres in middle to eastern TN. We want lots and lots of trees, hills, a few acres of usable land for a home and other buildings and a large garden.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    Scott

Re: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

I've never lived there, but having spent about 6 weeks there about two years ago, I sure can see why you fell in love with it. I was roaming around Nashville south and east, and that is some beautiful country!

I live in eastern Tenn, 50 miles from Bristol and 70 miles east of Knoxvillle. Things here move slower but due to the influx of northern money land prices are much higher. Most folks moving in want a house on an acre, so there are some small farms around. My mother-in- law is a realtor and might be of help. This is in Greenville Tenn, close to the Tri-Cities of Johnson City, Bristol,and Kingsport. This is upper east Tenn., if I can be of help let me know Mac

I too have property in Eastern Tenn. I'm up in Johnson County. I bought my 30 acres about 4 years ago. The wife and I were looking for that last place we wanted to be. We wanted the changes of the seasons but in a moderate amount. Some peace and quiet and a little distance between neighbors. I also wanted land that could be productive. Seems like everybody else is having the same idea these days. I have researched property all over the area and have found that it is really all over the place when it comes to pricing. The closer you get to more established ares though, the more consistant the pricing. Also, finding larger tracts of land is becoming a little more difficult.

There are definite differences topographically which affect things like weather, demand and pricing. The state as a whole is beautiful. I suggest you focus on what you described as far as what you want and search all the real estate websites you can. That way you can begin to identify specific areas you might be interested in, which you will find will be based primarily on the availability of what you want. Many of the websites also offer community demographic and economic information. I will say that your interest in mostly woods will be a plus in helping you find something. There is an enormous interest in developable property like pasture and such. I have been trying to find more myself to farm but it's not easy.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
    "Wisdom isn't free, though your only price is to pay attention"

We purchaced 60 acres in Lawrence county about 30 miles north of Florence Alabama. My Wife & I lived and raised our children in Jackson, MS a city of 300,000. We were fed up. Tired of crowds and traffic and crime. I found our land on the Midde Tennessee MLS (Multiple Listing Service). We love the area. Although we have owned the land for over two years we have only lived on it since September. We have not met anyone who was not courteous and friendly.
    Look in Lawrence or Maury county. The land is beautful, the people good, and the pace slow.

Good Luck and God Bless

Does everybody still wave when they pass you on the road? I remember that. The weird one was that people would put on their turn signal for the person in front of them (mirroring them) so you go around to pass and the person just speeds up and goes on....

I don't know about in Tennessee but most people still do wave down here in SW GA. But I have to say, that turn signal thing is a new one to me.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

S.W. Missouri here...The first thing you need to learn here is the one-handed pickup driving wave. Right hand comes off the steering wheel about 8" palm facing the oncoming traffic. If the oncoming traffic is a stranger or "furriner" the hand stays steady until you see their response. If it is some one you know or at least recognize as a regular you are permitted to move said hand back and forth.

Turn signals???
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Yep, most folks still wave. Even the logging trucks and every law officer I've seen. Lawrence county is a friendly place. I haven't seen the turn signal thing, but most folks take it easy on the backroads around here because of the Amish. It can be quite a suprise to round a curve or top a hill and run up on a wagon going 10mph. The Amish are good folk. I have never seen a group o people work as hard as they do. I know that it is mostly survival on their part, but it's still impressive nonetheless. Just as a side note. As I sit here and write this I am listening to tree frogs chirp, An owl just lit off in the woods out by the creek, and I suspect I will hear the turkey soon rustling through the wods up the hill. We are only 6 miles from town but you would think we are in deep wilderness. We are in a hollow and seldom hear any sounds of civilization except the occasional train or aircraft. WE LOVE IT HERE!

Good luck in your quest for a homestead we are thankful everyday for this blessed place. To us it's the closest thing to heaven this side of the Gates. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Lane Smith

Sure are a lot of folks from Tenn here [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I live in Smith Co at the Wilson county line (7th cheapest county for property tax)

I would check out the web for Tenn land in the area you are considering. We (some of us anyhow..LOL) have become technology modern and some of these realtors are posting sites online.

I'm sensing a good ole fashion get-together/BBQ in the near future [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]