Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Re: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

mmmmmm BBQ... I'll make some BBQ, whenever I get there.. Have you ever had it Texas style? It's a whole new flavor!

We are still looking for the area to concentrate on. We want to be within a hour or so of Nashville or Knoxville. Mostly Nashville, but, we want to get as much snow and hills and trees possible.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We want to be within a hour or so of Nashville or Knoxville. Mostly Nashville, but, we want to get as much snow and hills and trees possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monteagle Mountain/Sewanee area, or Grundy County, or Van Buren County, or Cumberland County.
    That's about as close to Nashville and Knoxville as you can get
    and still be in the mountains. On the Cumberland Plateau.
    Monteagle is closer to Nashville. Crossville is closer to Knoxville.

My ISP homepage is a great source of links for Tennessee.
    http://www.bledsoe.net/

I live in Dunlap TN in the Sequatchie Valley.
    Dunlap is 25 miles North of Chattanooga.
    The Sequatchie Valley is one of only two Rift Valleys in the world.
    The other being the Great Victoria Valley in Africa (Victoria Falls).

You mite want to check out Grundy County around Tracy City or Coalmont or Altamont. And also Van Buren County around Fall Creek Falls. Or Sewanee Tn on Monteagle Mountain. Or Cumberland County around Crossville.
    If you get any further West you get out of the mountain areas.
    Nashville and Knoxville are both within 3 hours of me.
    If I lived out on the Cumberland Plateau around I-40 it would be a lot shorter.

All of this should give you an idea of where to look for what you want.

Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear's Place

The wife and I are planning on moving to the Chattanooga area shortly. We will be trying to purchase about 25 acres and put up a house.
    I have family in the area so I will going home after about 35 years.
    Have a good day.

I live in Wayne county its South of Nashville on the Alabama line. We have had a great influx of retirees and resettlers over the years. This is a story of what I see with the new comers.
    First they pick an area this is remote for many too remote from work or shopping (35 miles). Second they pay an out of area price for the property (maby twice its value). Third they move extended family into the area. The retirees may be set for income but the extended family can find wages in the $8 to 10 dollar range. After 5 to 10 years of just getting by they sell out and move. They move close to an urban area within 15 miutes of work, shopping, hospitals.
    Folks it happens every week.
    The best source for local land for sale is the area bank, they have a lot of over priced nice pretty properties for sale.
    I dont want to paint a bad picture, just reality.

rdbig, It isn't just TN. Folks with CA plates get run off the road in parts of Oregon. The Oregon folks are disgusted with all the influx of CA and CA $ increasing their real estate costs and taxes.

Lots of folks left OK and went to CA. from the dust bowl era till recent times. Now a lot of CA folks are exiting CA and moving to OK. Many OK folks are disgruntled with the Callifornians coming here and spending BIG BUCKS making it hard for locals to buy anything at bargain prices. I am one of the left-OK-and-went-to-CA-and-am-back-now folks. Luckily I can still speak Oklahoman and know when to mention (and how to propery mispronounce the names of) certain towns and things.

This is THE REALITY. Get used to it. The boomers (not boomer/sooners) the BABY BOOMERS that is, are about to start their migration. The waves you are seeing now contain a lot of war babies, just wait till the Baby Boomers get into full migration. YOu haven't seen the like of the swarms of RV's and folks running around with handsfull of cash looking to be the last one to get into your rural community AND THEN SLAM THE DOOR SHUT.

First they will be attracted to the WONDERFULLNESS of the rural scene and then try to change it for their convenience, complaining aboiut how it isn't like where they came from.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Around here it is people from Florida.
    I have heard them called half backs.
    They retired and moved to Florida from up north.
    Now they are tired of that scene and are moving halfway back.

Property prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.

And yep, people move in and then want to shut the gates.
    Change the place to their own private little utopia.
    It was our utopia first. If you don't like the way things are,
    I-75 goes two ways, I-40 goes the other two, pick one.

Pooh Bear

Well, I'm not a 'halfback' I'm just a '**** yankee' I guess. Florida was never on my list, in fact my list contained NC and TN, and TN won. I'm up the plateau from you Pooh, but I came here for what was here and DON'T want to change anything. Now I'm up here in Cumberland county and we have a very large influx of retirees, but most of the folks that want change here are the locals.
    I am also one of those folks that moved out into the boon docks, we are 20 miles from town 1 1/2 miles off the paved road and that was our plan made 6 years before actually moving here.

LOL. Yep, I hear 'em referred to often as ****yankees.
    If you're out on the Cumberland Plateau then you
    ain't kidding about being out in the boonies.
    I've spent a lot of time up around Altamont at the Skymont Scout Camp.
    Also used to go up to Fall Creek Falls a lot for fishing.

Pooh Bear

I'm in what used to be known as Halfway, but even halfway died of loneliness. I am actually surrounded on all sides by the Catoosa Wildlife Management Area.

Yes it been real for several years. Locally the median income for the area is below the poverty rate. All that translates into neighbors too poor to buy anything. So a relocating person needs to be independently wealthy or willing to drive along way or stay away from home if they have to work. Our other problem is meth yep sure enuf. Its everywhere and creates a culture much like the worst war zone of the inner city. Yes a very high murder rate for a rural area, as high as any big city. Even gangs all the stop signs in my area have gang markings. And corrupt cops.
    A lot of folk are afraid of any stranger or anyone they dont know. Most everyone has outside lights and alarms inaddition to shotguns and porch watchdogs.
    It aint like it was when i growed up.