Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Re: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

I am not against the settlers. Outsiders provide a lot of work for handyman, buy a lot of new stuff, and are a great source of good stuff at dispersal auctions. The electric company now charges $1500 per pole to run power to the remote cabins and sites. The local economy has learned to accomodate. As far as trying to change the area, lots a luck. The only changes to the area come from rising gas prices and wives working.
    Locally a settler built a nice house something like the cover of Progressive Farmer mag, bought new JD stuff, nice Farm buildings and about 100 head of cows. The house and yard is Pretty enuff to make your eyes water, down the hill his cows were starving. Cows dont do well on leaves and sedge, a few left all lost shine and weight, when he got back from a vacation to FLA he resold the cows. At a big loss yes. Had his moveable property dispersal sales a few weeks back lots of good deals on high end stuff. The JD went for about 50%. The house is in real estate one of those 300-400 K spots.
    All Im saying is the local economy seems to eat most settlers for lunch.

rdbig, Sorry to hear about the meth. It is a plague. Oklahoma was getting too meth oriented and then the politicians got off the dime and passed some laws making meth precrsors way harder to buy and not get caught. This just made the people who want to run a lab have to consider relocating to a state more friendly to their endeavors, say your state for instance.

There are times when we NEED federal intervention and laws. I think stomping on the drug trade is one of those times. All the State's Rights independance noise buys votes from folks flying the Stars and Bars or the libertarians or utopians but it also helps perpetuate the success of the drug trade. We need to decide as a nation to either put the $ into drug education instead of criminalization or get deadly serious and STOP the drug trade. Of course that would sound like law and order and jack booted thugs to our liberals. No, we just want to make omlets but without breaking eggs.

If you don't have the will, determination, and ability to stop drugs from going in high volume into some of the tightest controlled environments we have (prisons) how do we expect to do anything out here in the general population?

//RANT MODE = OFF//

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep, we're not known as the meth capitol of the east for nuthin'.
    All these mountains and hollers to hide in.
    Used to be moon shine, then marijuana, now meth.
    The problem is getting better with some of the new laws that were passed regarding buying of psuedofed.

Pooh Bear
    Dunlap TN.
    Home of Eastern Appalachian Tennessee Meth Enforcement.
    E.A.T.M.E

Pooh, I got a flyer on a training seminar. Is it related to your organization?

Eastern Appalachian Tennessee Super High Intensity Training, Meth Enforcement II

Yeah, making the precursors harder to get does help. A club upside the head does too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think they changed the name of the group.
    Kinda like the the shirts and jackets worn by police groups have
    their group initials on them. FBI, TBI, NTSB, FDNY, SWAT, etc.
    I guess they didn't want jackets or shirts that said
    EAT ME on the back of them.

I saw the newspaper article about them when they first formed.
    And I just knew that name was gonna be a big joke for them.

They are based over here at the National Guard Armory.
    That's about all I know about the group.

EAT ME. Can't help but chuckle at that one.

Pooh Bear
    ---------------------------------
    Edited to add

Oh, I just got the acronym for your seminar.
    Yeah, I got fluff for brains.

The other real problem is the illegals.

I guess I would be considered a half-back. I moved from MD to FL for work reasons. Managed to stay 15 years. Hated it for 14 of the 15 years. Finally got the opportunity to transfer to the Nashville area. Ended up buying a place on 56 acres about 30 miles south of Nashville in Maury County. Rolling hills with a 50/50 mix of woods and pastures. It reminds me of home back in MD. I will never live in another subdivision with a homeowners association. Never!

Mike

Mike, In my opinion, NO ONE LIVES where there is a homeowners association, they just exist.

Pat

If you won't live in a place with a homeowners association, you sure restrict you options in town in this area. And you almost eliminate your chances of buying a new home.

A couple of years ago, we started looking for just a small 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home, found some little houses we really liked, but we wouldn't buy into the homeowners association. Anyway, we finally found this little place that was built in 1991 and NO homeowners association.

Bird, In my case it is probably just BRAVE TALK but so long as I can avoid homeowner associations I will (hopefully the rest of my life.) With any luck I will never again live in town or on a postage stamp sized lot. Been there, done that a plenty.

I'm adaptable and could do whatever I had to do but hope to never have to.

Pat