Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Re: Attn: Tennessee Country Land Owners

Homeowners Associations are much more common even outside city limits and especially where a Farm was divided up in to those cute little Farmettes with all the necessities provided. After all if I paid $10,000 per acre I would not want some one degrading my property values.

Ok, so the question becomes, what do you call a Floridian who left FL 25+ years ago to join the Navy and decides to retire to TN? Nope don't want to change the locals, don't want to import California values or Virginia taxes. I like a 76 acre piece of dirt I bought in Giles county, lots of trees and enough pasture for the horses. I do want to put up new fences to keep the horses out of trouble, it has a very nice neighborly 5 strand barbed wire up now.

I do want to build a nice log house and enjoy the locals: deer, turkey and squirrels.

I have not figured out the migration from FL either, it seems like the taxes and insurance went stupid and land prices are even worse in FL.

One thing I did see imported from FL that I do like is deck shoes!!

I hope to move down from VA in a couple of years and start the house, shop and run-ins for the horses.

Mark

Mark, If they aren't Sperry Topsiders they aren't particularly better than something from China by way of Wally World.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sadly I think even my Top Siders are imported.

Mark

Don't know about deck shoes but figure bare foot should be close! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Do enjoy yourself building the log house. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Did that once and that was enough for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Building the log house is a relitive term, contractor will have to do the building, hopefully I'll be able to be onsite to see it done.
    Wife will not live in a trailer or other during construction, so maybe she can stay in VA with the horses and I can go play with logs and wood.
    I really want to see the house built from the ground up, just to understand the building process, and make sure the contractors are doing what they say they are going to do.

Mark

Egon, Bare feet are way less sure footed on a wet deck than even mediocre deck shoes. This assumes a relatively smooth deck such as teak, or a mini-waffle pattern in gel-coat. If you have really aggressive non skid on the deck then bare feet get great traction but even toughened feet will be reduced to a bloody mass by really aggressive non skid in a relatively short time. The stuff they used on the big tuna clippers was extremely course and extremely sharp material like for extra course blasting and you absolutely did not want unprotected flesh to contact it. It worked great when wet, and or awash with blood and fish stuff but was extremely aggressive. A fall on it was NOT a good thing.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I'm from Tennessee originally. My father was stationed at Millington frequently while he was in the Marines and my mother ususlly stayed there while he was at sea all those times because her parents were there.
    I was there all through junior high and high school then left for the Navy when I was 17. I came back in 95 with a family of my own and boy had Shelby county changed. I was used to living in the country there but that was all gone in my old stomping grounds. The place I used to hunt and fish was now a shopping mall. Still we found a place int he country but it wasn't too long before I figured out the people had changed too. Boy were the ones around us unsociable! We ended up moving near some other family out in Pa and that was a whole different nightmare.
    We're in Texas now and I love it. We definitly have the four seasons here in West Texas. Last year we had a blizzard in October and 100 plus degrees all summer. This summer has been fairly wet and we are preparing for a bad winter. It's hard to imagine snow in an area that would be desert if it weren't for all the irrigation. We have a nice farm and good neighbors. People actually wave as they pass. There is a strong chance they are either drunk or stupid though as they pass usually 20 MPH at least over the speed limit so I learned to give other drivers a wide berth when they pass. With the city being dry (no alchohol sales) all the beer stores are out here in the country and the traffic they generate makes it some dangerous driving quite often. There's nothing worse than a drunk driver I think. The drivers here really are stupid for the most part. Much worse in the city. In the cities, noone will let you in when you try merging onto the highway. I always do but I find myself wondering why when noone else lets me in ever. I get really ticked off when I see a big hole in the traffic then someone purposely speeds up to block you as you are coming over.

Thankfully, I don't have to go to the city much since I work at home on the farm. When I do have to I just try to keep my temper. It's not easy.

Shelby county, Memphis area, is still nice but definitely not the quiet country life it was when I was a kid. I can't see myself ever living there again.
    My grandparrents owned the original family homestead in Arkansas and they are gone now so it went to my mother and I. We are making plans to move back to the farm where my family originated within the next 5 years.
    It's still isolated and nice up there in the mountains where it is. Noone has lived on the farm in 30 years or maintained it at all so I have my work cut out for me clearing and building a new house and barn. We are keeping our place here in Texas though. It's a nice little farm. My son will be 18 by the time we move to the farm in Arkansas and he will probably take over this one. I would not give up this farm for anything.