Hello all. My name is Fred and I am new to CountryByNet. This is my first post. I am in the process of purchasing 40 acres of property sourrounded by national forest at an elevation of around 8,100ft in northern New Mexico. My primary intention with the property is to use it as a mountain retreet were I can hunt, camp, hike the NF, and fish the local lakes. At some point I may build a cabin but probably not for a while. In the past the property has been used as grazing land for cattle. I was told that occationaly the property was leased for up to 20 head of cattle to graze. The going rate was $20/month/per head. The fences are in need of repair but I was thinking of completely refencing the entire property. I am wanting to get some cattle and goats. So I was going to use the 2" x 4" "no climb" fence with two strands of barbed wire at the bottom and two at the top. My concerns are appropriately fencing the land so that cattle and goats don't get out but also so that predators don't get in. Another concern is to build a fence that is hard to climb for tresspassers as well. I know that someone determined will climb anything but something intimidating enought to keep out the "honest" tresspassers. The breeds of goats that I am thinking of getting are angora, kiko, boar, alpine, saanen. I am wanting a large sized goat with good sized horns and able to deal with its environment. Also I was looking into guard llamas for the goats. I know very little about breeds of cattle, but any advise on fencing, breeds of cattle, goats, llamas, anything else would be great. I need all the advise I can get.
Thanks,
Fred