We recently took over the family ranch that my grandpa homesteaded almost 100 years ago. My problem is that it is such a mess. They never threw anything away and it's mostly junk, so I know an auction wouldn't work (already had an auctioneer take a look). The buildings (barn, houses, shop, etc) are in such disrepair that we have to tear them all down. Cows destroyed the vegitation by overgrazing the 500 acres with 100 cow/calf pairs for 20 years (thanks to the previous owners). It's really quite embarrassing. I let the ground rest last year, but this year there is a ton of grass, but the weeds are horrible. I had a guy go spray, so now my hay fields look good, but the rest of it is still horrible. We only have 4-H stock on the place, about 20 cats and 500 gofers, skunks, raccoons, and other pests. We shoot the pests and poison, but it doesn't seem to touch it. We have taken some advice from relatives, but they helped with the process of letting the place go so bad, so I would like some advice from some people who have succeeded at this. We do allow trespass fee hunts to help with some costs, but it really doesn't touch it. I would also like to know when we should introduce livestock again and what to bring in. I really would like something that brings in a proffit or at least something I could handle that would benefit our family with nourishment. My husband and I both work, so we can't have a lot of anything anyway. I thought about Dexters, but I don't know how profitable they would be in Northwest Colorado and how expensive they are to buy. I am very overwhelmed and discouraged. HELP! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie