Thread: What size tip?

What size tip?

I'm in the process of building my house and am going to do my own painting. I have a Graco XR7 airless. I was wondering if anyone out there would have some advice on which tip or tips I should use to paint the exterior and interior. Thanks

Dick

Re: What size tip?

I dunno... but I bet Graco does! They may even spell it out in their manual or on the web or over the phone or ...

Of course they'll probably want you to give them a break and tell them what kind of paint you intend to apply, as it makes quite a difference.

By the way... How high is up and how long is a roll of string?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Have you considered asking the paint supplier?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think the general rule is a smaller tip for low viscosity material such as stain, and larger diameter for for higher viscosity material such as latex paints.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks guys for the information. Were using Sherwin Williams "Duration" latex paint and I know you have to thin this out with water for the spray gun. I thinned it out with about a quart of water to five gallons, and I really don't want to go thinner but I will if I have to. I'm using a 517 tip and It sill seems to clog fast. I'll check with Sherwin Williams on the thinning.

Dick

Just remembered that when I used to have a Wagner airless sprayer they recommended a product called Flotrol. It's marketed by Flood and is a viscosity improver for airless sprayers.

And I assume you're using a viscosity cup to adjust same?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The model of Graco I have is the cheaper one than the xr7, but the guns are similar I think. The orange handled tips and gun filters are for latex, the blue ones are for stains.

The sprayer I have recomended pouring the paint thru a filtration 'bag' before spraying it to eliminate any particles that could clog the gun/tip. We haven't done that but still don't have any problems spraying undiluted latex exterior or interior paint.

You can just pivot the tip around and squeeze the trigger to blow any clog out of the tip, we do have to do that occasionally.

The filtration bags are easy to use and work great. Basically, it's a mesh bag with an elastic top that fits a 5 gallon container. Put it in a clean 5 gallon can (purchased where you got your paint) and pour the paint in. Then lift up the bag and let the paint drain out into the bucket. You'll need to squeeze the last of it out, so I wear disposable gloves for this. Just 'milk' the last of the paint out.

Sure does a good job. I like to add the Floetrol first (if I'm thinning), and do the mixing in the original bucket, THEN filter the paint. That way, if I get some stuff in the paint while mixing, it gets filtered out.

If you are clogging that much, I don't know what to tell you except filter that paint, clean that sprayer, and try again. As mentioned, you should be able to spray unthinned latex with no problem.

BTW, in a humid climate, you might want to do just that - spray unthinned.