Thread: How do you get paint off screens?

How do you get paint off screens?

My nephew helped me doing some painting of the house, although, he got some overspray onto my porch screen. Not too much, but you can tell it is there. Is there a way to get latex paint off non metalic screen?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: How do you get paint off screens?

Lye will soften the paint and make it easy to brush off but not attack the screen material. Unfortunately it will vigorously attack aluminum screen frames. Rescreening your old frame isn't that hard or expensive.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

How about touching up the painted areas of the screen with some black or gray ( to match the original screen color ) spray paint?

Tim, What an idea... I suppose you would have to gradually transition between the main area of interest and the rest of the screen to "BLEND" it in and not see the abrupt change or lightly "fog" the whole screen a bit. Much safer than the lye solution suggestion I made. At least if an unfixable error occurs you still have a screen frame to recover. With lye solution you can lose an alluminum frame.

I once made the impulsive mistake of putting a range hood's grease filter in a "mild" lye solution that I had for another reason. I thought it would get the grease off as lye turns fat into soap. It cleaned the filter element really well, so well that the filter element (sort of a coarse spun aluminum) disolved and fell apart.

DU-UH, like I took Chemistry and passed and promptly "filed away" the information. What a reminder.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Great ideas! I will try both since painting seems easier, but lye cleaning seems more permanent.

Thanks,

Joe