Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bats and Cluster Flies

Re: Bats and Cluster Flies

Thanks. I'll see how it goes.

Hopefully the storm misses Florida.

Ciao for now.

Another method of attaching mesh to stone...get some construction adhesive and some 1x1 wood, cut the 1x to length and glue it to the stone, use more adhesive to seal any gaps between the wood and the stone. Then make a screen with additional 1x framing and mesh, then screw the new screen to the 1x you glued to the stone. That way its easily removable, heck you could hinge it if you like.

The expanding foam designed for filling gaps would work well for any smaller places you have that bats and or flies are getting thru. Just squirt it in the gaps, let it expand and harden, go back and cut or sand off the excess and paint to match. I had a home energy audit done recently where they put a blower door on the house and induced a vacuum in the house to show air leaks, since then I have been busy with that foam and caulk, etc to fix up most of the bigger air leaks. We had one big window ( 5' x 10' ) that didn't have the
    trim around it sealed properly, I hadn't noticed but it had a 1/8th inch gap around the trim leading into the wall space.

That made a 44 square inch hole into the wall space that let some hot air in down from the attic...yikes. I put a bead of caulking and some quarter round trim up, that end of the room is much cooler now. Amazing what the little air leaks add up to. Sorry, I wandered off topic. haha.

But we really need pictures to do our best remote advising.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Tim

Thanks, twstanley. We had one of those energy assessments too. I guess I'll have to check some of the windows we haven't chaulked yet. If the air can get in, so can the flies. I know when they are coming because I'll see them climbing up the stone wall where the sun shines. I wish we were better with heights then it wouldn't take so long to seal the top of the house. You know how it is when you dread to do something and your time is running out. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have to get up on the technology and get a digital camera. Then it would be easier to attach a picture. Maybe I'll scan one.

One thing my father-in-law pointed out, a good sturdy ladder is much more comfortable to work with then the cheapo extension ones.

I have the cheapest 24' extension ladder and it bounces and sways a LOT when I climb it on the tall side of our house. We bought the in-laws a real nice heavy duty ladder ( the father in law is a big guy haha ) and wow what a difference it makes climbing that ladder fully extended.

The heavier duty ladders don't have that bounce and sway to them, making it much more comfortable to work from them.

But then again, they are a good bit more expensive, of course one fall would easily pay for a very expensive ladder....

Good luck with your weatherproofing, I know with each crack and gap I seal up we seem to have less bugs in the house. Hopefully it will help with the a/c and heating bills ( propane usage ) as well.

Good point. The heat wave here in Ontario is letting go of some of it's humidity so maybe this weekend would be good.
    Thanks for the support. I'm hoping to save on propane myself.