Thread: Home made Pectin?

Home made Pectin?

Does anyone have a recipe/instructions to make homemade pectin for use in jams and jellies that gives a consistant result? How is the result used as a replacement in jam and jelly recipes? (i.e 1/4 cup home made pectin = 1 packet of store pectin powder. or such.)

I have a recipe, but it is always just a guess as to the strength of the resulting pectin mixture.

Thanks
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Re: Home made Pectin?

Adron, Sorry I can't help you but you can help us. Publish your pectin recipe.

A comment on your bio info: How very similar; firefighting and computer programing. I found computer programing to be a series of fire drills and putting out little "fires" before they became major conflagrations.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Ok, here goes the recipe compliments of "Stocking Up" Copyright 1977 Rodale Press.

Use the "apple thinnings", the small immature green apples for the best source of natural pectin. Wash, trim and cut into thin slices. Measure 1 pt. of water for each pound of apples. Place slices in a kettle or large sauce pan and boil for 15 minutes.

Strain off the free running juice through 1 thickness of cheese cloth without attempting to squeeze the pulp. Return the pulp to the pan and add the same measure of water again. This time cook the mixture at a lower temperature for 15 mninutes. Allow it to stand 10 minutes, then strain through 1 thickness of cheese cloth. Do not attempt to squeeze the pulp. Allow it to cool so you can handle it and then squeeze out the remaining juice. Should be about a qt. of juice for each pound of apples. You can use the juice immediatly, freeze it, or can it for later use.

Four cups of homemade pectin replaces approximatly ½ bottle or 3 ounces of commercial pectin in most recipes.

My notes: 3 ounces liquid pectin = 1 pkg powdered pectin. A lot of this is subjective as the pectin in the "apple thinnings" can vary. I have not fully confirmed this recipe as my first batch did not fully jell. Close but not complete.
    Adron

Sorry Adron, I'm not sure which of the juices you keep. There are 3 to choose from; 1. the first boiling, 2. the second boiling, and 3. the squeezin's (from the cooled sliced apples.) Do you keep it all? or which one(s)?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All 3, but don't put the squeeze on until after the 2nd has drained naturally. At least that is the way I read it.
    Adron

Adron, OK, but I don't know what diff it could make since you keep what drains and what you squeeze.

Thanks again, I'd like to try this.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]