Thread: new to homeschooling

new to homeschooling

Hello, I am a new homeschooling mom, my boys are in the 3rd and 5th grade. I am going to be using the A Beka DVD program this year and I wondered if anyone has had any experience with it (good or bad). Also any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font color>

Administrator

Re: new to homeschooling

Hi Mom at Home,

Congratulations to you and your children in starting the road of home schooling. That is an excellent decision, and as you progress forward, you will discover many others who share your love of education and family, and homeschool.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I homeschooled our sons, who founded this web site and a sister site www.tractorbynet.com. A significant part of their "schooling" was devoted to creating and operating web sites!

They both attended the top university in the New York State system, and also are martial arts experts. We raised them on a 55 acre farm, so they were able to learn and do things that less than 1% of the youth of today can even imagine about.
    Today, they operate several successful businesses, and everyone who meets them marvels at their intelligence and manners. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You will find some people, perhaps even some family members, who may wish to challenge your decision, or attempt arguments "against" homeschooling. Do not argue with anyone. Explain if you wish, but do not argue or get upset. Just be firm and determined. You have made the correct decision.

In a month or two, everything will be sailing along, and you and your children will realize what a great decision you have made.

Don't hesitate to come back here and ask questions. Many others homeschool who are members here. But honestly, there are so many, many resources online for homeschooling, that you should always look for web sites to assist in your progress.

Again, congratulations to your family. I really consider that today the decision of parents to commit to homeschooling their children is without question, the greatest gift and advantage they can provide to them. Consider yourself fortunate that you have the time and interest to do so. As a parent, you're "one-in-a-million." [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All the best,
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator