Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot IDPA?

Anyone shoot IDPA?

I attended and shot my first International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) match this morning. It was four stages and great fun. The stages are based on real life scenarios. They score on total time and add time based on your hits, or misses in my case. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One of the stages was set up as though you were at a campfire and five wild dogs entered camp. One grabbed your dog. At the beep you had to draw and fire two shots at each silhouette. Of course you were not supposed to hit the silhouette representing your dog. Said silhouette partly covered one of the bad dogs.

One of the stages had rotating and “clamshell” targets. For these you had to hit a metallic target. When it fell it activated the clamshell or rotator. This uncovered the real target for about 4 seconds or so. For some of the stages you need to reload at least once or more depending on magazine capacity.

All that’s required is a concealable handgun, holster, extra magazines and carrier. Need about 50 to 100 rounds of ammo depending on the setup.

If you participate in this activity, let’s hear your tales. If not, I’d suggest you give it a try.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Anyone shoot IDPA?

Gary, Sounds like someting I might like to do in my spare time (he he... what spare time.) I have some extended mags for my Gold Cup national match that look like they were intended for a Thompson sub machine gun. Ya suppose the'd mind?

Good on you Gary, I'll bet it was great fun. Did you shoot YOUR dog? In a real life situation by the time you shot the dogs that were in the clear your dog would probably have been released already.

Just yesterday I was talking with a guy whose neighbor started letting their great dane run loose. No problems for a month then he started running with a roaming pack in his SPARE time. They took down a couple calves. The dane's owner would do nothing so a couple others had to track them down and put an end to it.

Anyway, what did you shoot. I mean equipment. You can reveal your score too if you want.

I may get some practice wing shooting if I can't get a NICER method to work. I have hundreds of birds hanging out in the back yard and now several have taken to sitting on the porch ceiling fans. That could be a messy situation if not corrected.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    several have taken to sitting on the porch ceiling fans. That could be a messy situation if not corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the fans turning?

Think of it as Quano ! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Collect and sell! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Egon, That's what I was going to ask? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Turn on the fans! If they can land on a moving fan you'll have something for Animal Planet.

Don't know my total score yet. The results should be on the website by Tuesday or Wednesday. And I didn't shoot my dog either! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I did OK on some of the stages. I'm just hoping not to come in at the bottom, but if I do, I can only go up, right?

I used my Springfield Armory XD-40SC for the event. But now I want to buy a pistol with a longer barrel and sight radius. But that would only eliminate one excuse for not performing well.

All sorts of weapons were represented, 1911's, Glocks, Taurus, Springfields, etc. And Pat, there's a limit on how many rounds you can load depending on the "class" of your gun.

Check out the website www.idpa.com
    Gary

<font color="purple"> attended and shot my first International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) match this morning. It was four stages and great fun. The stages are based on real life scenarios. They score on total time and add time based on your hits, or misses in my case </font color>

I've not joined up and shot yet, but ran into a match the other Saturday when I went to the Wickenburg Sportsman's Club to shoot. Since they were using all three pistol bays, I observed.

Seems that .45 is by far the most popular caliber, regardless of pistol brand, at least here in AZ. I carry a SIG 229, .40S&amp;W; just like the (safety) design, and feel, of the 229. The 229 is also a two caliber gun. It becomes a 357-SIG by swapping barrels (use same magazine).

IDPA has some strict rules on equipment...no extended mags, Pat, limit total of 10 rounds. They want to be able to design a scenario so they can force every contestant to reload. Only certain holsters are allowed, too. For one thing, the holster must cover the trigger and no shoulder rigs (safety). The holster must point the weapon at the ground. Only a standard FBI back cant is permitted, nothing more angled.

They do have some very interesting, real-life scenarios, and they really emphasize safety. I'll probably start shooting with them this fall/winter, when it cools off a bit. Our club has a pistol shoot every Saturday morning, IDPA 1st Sat., Open shoot 2nd, Practical shoot 3rd, and Cowboy shoot 4th.

I also can convert my XD-40 to .357Sig by a barrel swap, so it's similar to yours in that way.

I saw a lot of .45s as you said, but I think there were more 9s. Quite a few .40 S&amp;W also. My XD-40 is in Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) class. I believe we are allowed 10+1. But my pistol is the subcompact and the magazines only hold 9+1. That puts me at a minor disadvantage in some scenarios. But not as much as using a revolver would! Some fellows spend a lot of effort trying to figure out the best way to do a tactical reload. I.E., fire an extra round on this side of the barricade so you can reload on the move or wait. All sorts of things to consider.

Looking forward to the next match!
    Gary

<font color="purple"> I believe we are allowed 10+1 </font color>

Our range is run "cold", meaning there is no +1. All weapons are clear until such time as you go to shoot, and at that time you charge a magazine and chamber a round. When you finish the scenario, you clear your weapon before you leave the line.

We also have a range officer on your **** during the entire scenario. Is this true at your range, too?

<font color="purple"> I also can convert my XD-40 to .357Sig by a barrel swap, so it's similar to yours in that way </font color>

Well, that's the way it should be, since the 357-SIG (actual caliber 9mm, or .355") is just a necked down .40, and the necked down portion is so small that it is basically a .40 round for the purposes of its handling by the magazine and feed ramp.

The reason I mentioned the SIG's flexibility was that a Glock owner told me that Glock requires a separate, distinct magazine for each 357-SIG and .40S&amp;W (as well as separate barrels).

I bought my 229 originally as 357-SIG, and later acquired the .40 barrel. The Secret Service is sold on the 357-SIG, but I'm not sure, after shooting both, that it's that great. It is a very high pressure round (1300+fps), and the felt recoil is about the same as the .40, and the .40 appears to have better knockdown effect. But, mainly, I can shoot many more .40 factory-loaded rounds for the same $$ [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Guns are holstered with no magazine in place. At the command you unholster, place the magazine in the pistol and load a round. Then, as my SC mags only hold 9 rounds, I was allowed to drop the magazine and top off. Reload the mag and holster to await the go buzzer.

At the end of the stage, drop the magazine, show clear, and drop the hammer. Then reholster.
    Gary

Not trying to be critical of the organization, but that seems like a lot of weapon handling, even if it's for safety. I subscribe to the "less is more" theory when it comes to weapon handling and safety. Of course, that could come from ten years in law enforcement and seeing numerous holes in floors, ceilings and roofs of crown vics as a result of officers handling their "unloaded" weapons. If you don't belive that "idle hands are the devil's workshop", give a cop twenty minutes and nothing to do. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"