Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot IDPA?

Re: Anyone shoot IDPA?

<font color="purple"> that seems like a lot of weapon handling, even if it's for safety </font color>

Practice makes perfect, to coin a cliche. I've been handling handguns for over 40 years, and I've been married to a LEO for 15, and I dare to say you will find many fewer holes in floors, ceilings, etc. on a well-run range (such as IDPA) than you will in the environs of a LEO [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There are too many police ranges that stress qualifying over safety, and ranges in general that do not stress safety enough. You can be fast, accurate, and safe all at the same time [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I like to consider our range a well-run range, as it is staffed by all NRA LEAD instructors, our rules are simple... prior to heading to the line, all weapons are cleared in the clearing barrels, weapon is reholstered, mags are emptied and reloaded with practice ammo and weapon is made "hot" in the clearing barrel and immediately holstered. The only times that a weapon is allowed out of the holster is in the barrel or on the line. I'm not saying that the IDPA isn't safe... only that the more times a weapon is handled, the more chances for an accidental discharge. Ever seen anyono immediately following an A.D. They look kinda like this--&gt; [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] then this--&gt; [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] and finally--&gt; [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

You make a valid point about the safety aspect. I've been involved in shooting sports for about 40 years. Unfortunatly not continuously.

I'm not yet "involved" in IDPA, but they seem to stress safety, and talking to the other competitors last week no one said that they had ever seen an AD or ND. Now it's true that they may just not have been there when one happened. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

We don't have a clearing barrel at our range, but the weapons are made hot pointing at the berms. Also, not keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until on target will get you sent home.

No facts to cite, but I think many sport shooters spend more time at the range than most LEOs. And probably burn up a lot more ammo too.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

No argument from me that sport shooters spend more time at the range. So long as safety is stressed, we're on the same page.
    Hank,
    A side note on the practice makes perfect, that is sometimes too true. I remember several years ago as agencies were just beginning the switch from wheel guns to semi-autos, an officer was involved in a shooting and as the investigation began, they were trying to ascertain where the officer was standing during the rather lengthy shoot-out. The officer took them to the spot and they began to look for the shell casings. Found nothing but speed loaders and went back to the officer and asked him how many shots he fired. He had absolutely no idea of how many or where the casings were until he put his hand in his pocket...and located the shell casings. Seems the range officer was a hard*** and made the guys empty their revolver into their hand and put the empties in their pockets so that he didn't have to pick up brass each evening. After that, brass was dumped on the ground during training and quals. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I can sure believe that one.

You train so that under stress you'll perform as trained. And he's a perfect example.[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary

Gary, AMEN! At the Navy lab where I co-led a 30 person team developing training for Navy warfighting systems, the operant phrase was "you fight the way you train."

I'm reminded of the guy who was training a black lab puppy. When it would have an "accident" on the porch (where it was kept during training) the owner would stick its nose in it and toss it out the open window. In a short time after an accident the puppy would reluctantly approach, stick its own nose in it and jump out the window.

When I took the mandatory "carry course" for a concealed weapon permit the last activity of the day was to empty two magazines at a bad guy target at 15 ft. I slammed a mag in my gold cup national match while the barrel was vertical and dropped the aim point down on target and put the first clip in his gonads and the second in his head (way too close to just aim for center of mass) The instructor enjoyed poking fun at my target range approach, explaining that I should have brought the weapon up from below and should have begun firing as soon I was close to the botom of the target and continued to fire as I brought the weapon to bear on the center of mass.

In retrospect I fully agree and of course he was absolutely right. Hitting the bad guy in the feet, ankles, and or legs while on the way to the center of mass is a GOOD THING for you and very distracting thing for the bad guy. It would seem to preoccupy him and maybe unbalance him while you are searching for "the right zone."

I now practice with my baby glock (6 shot .45 ACP) as the instructor suggested. It gets rounds on target much quicker but does not appreciably delay getting the weapon up in line of sight for placing the center of mass rounds accurately.

I realize this would probably not be a hiigh scoring IDPA tactic but I think it has great practical merit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,

I recently read a story about a fellow who was shooting IDPA with a revolver in .45 Long Colt. He was asked if he thought the slow reload time was a problem. He reportedly said "After I fire off 6 rounds of .45LC, I'll have plenty of time to reload!" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm getting ready to send the slide from my XD-40 off to Birmingham to have a new set of sights installed. I'm going with the Williams Firesights. Not the best, but pretty good. Probably as good as a 3" barrel needs anyway. I'm planning on getting another XD-40 (Tactical) with a 5" barrel. Might put better sights on that one.
    Gary

<font color="purple"> only that the more times a weapon is handled, the more chances for an accidental discharge </font color>

I guess that could be said for any activity, for example driving. The more miles you drive, the greater the chance for a collision of some sort.

My philosophy is not to avoid weapon-handling (or driving) to be safe, but to seek it out, and practice safe activity. One who practices (and practices) safe weapon-handling (or defensive driving) will be much less likely to have an accident.

Gary, As I probably mentioned before, I am not particularly accurate with my baby Glock (do much better with Colt Gold Cup National Match .45) but feel that I am accurate enough for "real" usage, not target shooting. When it coimes to target shooting I am the least accurate with the Baby Glock of all the pistols I have shot. Unfortunately the Colt is quite a fistful for concealed carry.

The Glock came with nice sights outlined in white. I am thinking of adding either the grip mounted LASER or the one in the rod. Do the rules of the IDPA allow laser sights?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,
    Unless you are absolutely sold on getting a laser sight, you may want to look into the +1 type magazine extensions, doesn't change the size much at all and gives you a little more to grip for weapon control.