I attended and shot my first International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) match this morning. It was four stages and great fun. The stages are based on real life scenarios. They score on total time and add time based on your hits, or misses in my case. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One of the stages was set up as though you were at a campfire and five wild dogs entered camp. One grabbed your dog. At the beep you had to draw and fire two shots at each silhouette. Of course you were not supposed to hit the silhouette representing your dog. Said silhouette partly covered one of the bad dogs.

One of the stages had rotating and “clamshell” targets. For these you had to hit a metallic target. When it fell it activated the clamshell or rotator. This uncovered the real target for about 4 seconds or so. For some of the stages you need to reload at least once or more depending on magazine capacity.

All that’s required is a concealable handgun, holster, extra magazines and carrier. Need about 50 to 100 rounds of ammo depending on the setup.

If you participate in this activity, let’s hear your tales. If not, I’d suggest you give it a try.