Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone shoot IDPA?

Re: Anyone shoot IDPA?

Pat, we must be somewhat close in age as I remember the BB gun thing too.

Daisy sold a set with the BB gun, some safety glasses and instructions. I'm thinking that there were some targets included. No video tape though! I think it was before the time when everyone was assumed to own a VCR. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

USPS tracking shows my slide as having been delivered to the fellow in Birminham Alabama yesterday. So I expect to see it back before the end of next week with the new sights and Duracoat. Guess I'll have less of an excuse for my poor performance. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I'll post a picture when possible. I'm also going to check on an extended magazine release.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Michael, Thanks for the target shooting tip. I don't think I would be letting the trigger out slowly feeling for a slight click in a "REAL" situation. Maybe with pracice you learn how much is enough and can do it in an rapid fire situation.

About Egon's LASER aimed thermometer... I have one of those and thought of Egon's comments when I saw it in the kitchen of the new house so I picked it up and "shot" all the electrical outlets, ceiling mounted speakers, and various objects around the open plan great room at ranges of 5 to 30 feet with one shot per object. Assuming center of mass of a standard sized person 80-90% were hit within 6-8 inches of dead center on the first wild round of shooting. The more distant targets,15-20 ft away and some high above the floor, were the only ones that could have been total misses.

I then fired at various ranges, azimuths, and elevations with this methodology: weapon at side pointed down, raise to point with weapon well below the line of sight, fire one shot, and lower the weapon then repeat on the same target. It is important to lower your weapon or otherwise disengage the target between shots so you develop muscle memory for bringing the weapon on target from a safe ready position. After a few consecutive hits on target switch to a different target at a different range, elevation, or azimuth. In short order I was able to hit anything I looked at (a shot would have hit within a foot diameter circle around exact aim point but the vast majority of hits were less than 3-4 inches off) This was all the close targets. Across the great room and on the ceiling at ranges of 20-35 feet I didn't do as good but when allowing a followup shot without lowering the weapon it was rare that a third shot was required to hit within a foot of intended spot.

Without loading one in the pipe or having an extended mag, I would be good for 2 targets, worst case, at the greater ranges. At the distances for most real confrontations, going for a sight picture on the first shot would be a waste of time assuming I can shoot the Glock as well as a LASER aimed thermometer.

In the past when I was using Speer target ammo I used to load their plastic bullets into real brass cases as they had no plastic cases to fit a 9 MM or a .45 ACP. I had to cycle the action and could only fire one shot per time but it is good to use the actual weapon rather than a convenient substitute, hence the value of .22 conversions, Speer target bullets, etc. I have a Ruger 22-45 which has the advantage of similar weight and the same rake angle between grip and barrel as my .45 Gold Cup National Match.

The baby Glock .45 ACP isn't all that popular and there aren't all the accessories available that other models enjoy. Maybe I should try to get a .22 conversion for it as a training aid since the Glock and I are the worst man-pistol accuracy team that I have. I do almost as good not using the sights at closer ranges (25-50 ft.)

The LASER sight would be a good training aid as I am not comfortable and don't shoot where I don't have a safe backstop.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Gary, I guarantee there were no VCRs back then, VHS or BetaMax. I was minted the same year as the "funny" pennys. My mom says it was my fault.

Gee, I thought the grey was premature! I didn't know you were nearly as old as Bird or I wouild have shown more respect (NOT!)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"