Thread: 2006 Ford King Ranch?????

2006 Ford King Ranch?????

I am in the final steps of ordering a custom built 2006 Ford F250 4x4 "King Ranch" .I figured after all these years of just making do ,mama and me are going to travel in comfort . I have looked at every bit of information I can find on them . Anyone care to share any information . I have been a Chevy man to now and it has also been a good truck ,but now I want the diesel and don't like what I have heard about the Chev .Dodge is out because of a back and neck injury that won't allow me to bend enough to get in it easily . I am not trying to start a truck war here at CBN just looking for good or bad input .
    Allen

Re: 2006 Ford King Ranch?????

<font color="blue">( I am in the final steps of ordering a custom built 2006 Ford F250 4x4 "King Ranch" ) </font color>

Not quite sure what you are looking to find from others here -- you say you are in the final stages of ordering a custom built Ford and you looked at every bit of info you could find.

You sound like you have made your decision.

Do you have to pull a heavy load? Just wondering why you would be getting a diesel.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

The Superduty has undergone some evolutionary changes in the last few years which make it a much differernt truck than it was originally. Primary to these has been the substitution of the new 6.0 liter diesel for the 7.3. The 6.0 is a much higher tech engine, and so far seems to be carrying on the 7.3's reputation for dependability and durability. Last year the front suspension was converted to coil springs on the four wheel drive models, bringing a smoother ride and tighter turning radius.

An excellent source of information on all the Ford trucks, but the Superduty amd diesel in particular is www.TheDieselStop.com
    Like all internet posting boards just remember to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I've had 2 Superduties, a 1999 F250 extended cab, and my current 2001 F350 Crecab Dually. Both had the 7.3, automatic, and four wheel drive. Between the two of them I've put close to 150,000 miles on these trucks with no unexpected problems, and what I would consider to be normal maintainance and repairs.

One of the nice things about the Superduty is the width of the cab. Although not obvious the cab is about 6 inches wider than other pickups, and I enjoy the space. If you're inclined to go that way, there are tons of aftermarket and factory accessories available for the Superduty.

There are only two things I would suggest considering. First, even though I started with an F250, in reality the F350 is a better buy, both economically and common sense wise. The difference in price is minimal compared to what you're spending, the difference in ride quality is negligible, but the difference in weight capacity (towing in particular) and resale value is signifigant. I'd strongly suggest going to the 350 chassis.

The other thing is satellite radio. My brother is also shopping King Ranch trucks, and he was telling me that currently none of Fords products are pre-wired for satellite. Apparently there will be an across-the-line change made sometime later this year. If satellite is something you want, or may want in the future, there may be some merit to waiting for the change.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck, I know I love mine every day.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Hi Gatorboy,
    We have agreed on price and there are a few options yet to decide . I started out looking at Chevy and figured I would just go back to that .The more I looked at the Ford the better it started to appear . What really sold me was a back injury resulting in a fused back and neck that allows for little movement getting in a vehicle . The Chevy was a little tough to enter for me ,the Ford was easy . I do tow a 20' equip. trailer often that is loaded . That is a 750 mile trip each way .One poster mention the F350 and that is something I had not considered before . Spending this type of money I wanted as much information ,pro's and con's opinion's and anything else I could find . Thanks ,
    Allen

I have a Chevy K3500 Crew Cab with Long Bed -- Gas. I thought the 1-ton would give a rough ride, but because of the long wheelbase it is a surprisingly smooth ride.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ford though -- just make sure you running boards, it makes getting in/out alot easier.

I did some calculations and found it would take over 110,000 miles before the diesel would become cheaper to own over a gas engine. Just something to ponder.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Hey thanks for the information . My whole life ,I just had to make do and have not owned a new truck since 1984 and it was reduced in price because it had been damaged at the dealer on delivery. The bad side is it was bright orange and as bare bones , as it could be ! ! You could see me coming a country mile away ! So now through the years since then , the Good Lord has blessed ,kept me fairly well and pointed me in the right direction until I can finally buy want I want and not just wish I could have gotten what I really wanted .This will more than likey be my last truck I ever get , so this time it will be right from the start . Our place is 54 miles from town and I travel between states ,towing heavy quite a bit .I think the diesel is my best bet . Thanks again ,
    Allen

Enjoy the new truck !! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

The cost calculation of diesel vs. gas has been done over and over by many people comparing many different manufacturers/models, and with different fuel/gas prices and different maintainance approaches.

The answer is always the same - the cost of ownership is almost even til somewhere around 100,000 to 125,000 miles.

Oddly enough I suspect the manufacturers might do the same calculation...

Of course at 125,000 miles your gasser is on its last legs (in most cases, and few make it beyond 150,000) but the diesel is only about halfway through its expected life. With a relatively high mile-per-year use cycle and 5 or 6 year financing, this becomes more of a factor.

Another factor the cost analysis can't take into account is retained value. Even at relatively low mileage the diesel will retain a higher percentage of its original value, and this number only increases in the diesels favor as mileage increases. My first Superduty was going to be my "last" truck, but situations changed and my need for the crew cab became an issue. Fortunately my first Superduty was a diesel, and even with close to 80,000 miles and 2 years on it (in well maintained condition) it's value was still high enough that at trade in (not even private sale) it paid off the remainder of the loan, and left enough for a solid downpayment on the F350. And yes, I got a good deal on the 350 - they didn't just fudge the numbers.

Ultimately for lots of folks it just comes down to personal preference. I've see this duscussion many, many times between pro-gas and pro-diesel guys. My personal feeling is if you can afford it buy the diesel. More heavy duty components, and better resale value tip the scale for me.

Of course I also love the whine....

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!