Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hay but not farmers

Hay but not farmers

Hi,

We bought a house on 7 acres. A majority of the acres grows hay. We don't have a tractor, just a ride on mower. I'm a commuter and my husband has a recording studio in the barn.
    What kind of deal can we make with a farmer near by that would appeal to them so that we can get the fields cut down. Would they cut it down if we gave them the hay? We don't personally know a farmer and we don't want to insult any of our neighbors (who are farmers).
    Thanks.

Re: Hay but not farmers

Only way to find out is to ask. If it's good hay, accessible and the farmer has a need for it you may have an answere.

Egon

That's true. I just didn't want them to think I was insulting them. I don't know what hay is worth. It's been a heatwave here in Ontario so that doesn't help when asking for outdoor help.

If it's anything like our area, no one is going to move hay equipment very far for what they can get off 7 acres. However, if you have a neighbor who is cutting and baling hay very close to your property, he might cut and bale yours for the hay at the same time, provided that he believes there are no obstacles that might damage his equipment; i.e., stumps, limbs, wire, debris, or any other trash.

There is a farmer behind us that deals in hay. I actually think he was cutting down the hay while the property was on the market. He'd probably be closest. We've moved a tree that fell onto the hay field. If it's too difficult to get a farmer to cut the fields down, how difficult would it be to get rid of the hay and plant something else in it's place? Or is hay hard to get rid of. We heard that at one time there were orchards here instead of hay.

So far, we're using the generic "hay" and there are many many different kinds of hay. As to whether it's hard to get rid of, it might depend to some extent on what kind of hay, or even your definition of "hard". [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And of course it may also depend to some extent on what you want to replace it with. I think most grass types can be pretty well killed out with Round-Up or its equivalent. Johnson Grass can be killed out eventually through frequent mowing. Some types might be good to just mow and leave alone. But of course, I'm accustomed to southern grasses and hay, so I'm not a good one to answer for whatever you have up north.

I couldn't even try to tell you what kind of hay it is. It would just be nice to be able to walk the rest of the land. I guess we are more like acreage owners. Those tractors cost more than some houses. Way out of our budget.

I know that in my neck of the woods it is very hard to find someone to take hay from small plots. They have a hard enough time taking care of thier own, that getting to someone elses just aint in the cards. But always remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm not sure where your marketable talents lie but it would seem to me that there is something you and your husband could offer to the farmer behind in exchange for cutting the hay. This is assuming that he's not motivated enough by cutting for the sake of keeping. He may be willing to help transform your hay field into something else. (many variables here)

Until my wife and I found our little Tennessee place (30 acres) we had almost given up on mankind. I think you will be amazed at how much "helping your neighbor" is part of the make up of country folk.

Since we bought our place I have been befriended by our nearest neighbor. It wasn't an over night process but has been well worth the wait. Our place was a disaster. For the first year I worked my butt off, mostly by myself, to fix the house so my wife would even step inside. Carter (that's his name) watched from his barn across the way. I would occasionally seek advice and information. I would do this in small doses. Country folk typically keep new relationships at arms length. Our friendship grew as he became convinced I was not just some "City Slicker". Carter is a wealth of knowledge and has worked hard all his life. The only real secret and it's really no secret, was to be respectful and appreciative of his life experiences. The neatest part is that "I was".

Now, we (my wife and I) vist with them and exchange baked goods and stories and such. He and I help each other when needed (it's not an everyday, all the time thing).

I guess what I'm saying is go and be neighborly. Introduce youselves. Be honest about your need for help and be willing to participate right along side. Be willing to exchange something, whether it's goods or services or what ever you can. I think you will be truly amazed at the results.
    "Wisdom isn't free, though your only price is to pay attention"

We do hay for "halves" with our friends 5 miles down the road.
    We just cut 25 acres and got 120 rolls.
    It was important to our guy that we prepare the land.
    So, we first got a soil analysis which indicated we needed 2.5 tons/acre of lime. We plowed that in and then planted fescue, orchard grass and clover. Two years later we have a fabulous stand of hay that he was thrilled to get. He did ask that we fertilize in the spring, although I don't expect to do that often.

At $30.00 per roll for hay, we break even after two cuttings.
    I can't see how anyone makes any money growing hay.
    However, the project got my fields cut and gave me food for the cows, so I am happy. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone. It's been very informative and eye opening. We have had visits from some neighbors. They have lived in the area since the 50s. It's been very nice meeting them and very informative. I understand what you mean about taking your time.

Thanks again. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]