Thread: killing in driveway?

killing in driveway?

I have a gravel driveway, the grass grows better in the gravel driveway than it does in the lawn..lol.. what in the world can i use to get rid of it that doesnt cost an arm and leg? i got a gallon of total vegetation killer, it worked but it grew right back in a month, i also put diesel on it, that worked good but it came back again!
    thanks

Re: killing in driveway?

I would just get yourself a gallon of RoundUp (concentrate) @ $100, which makes about 80 gallons of mix and spray the weeds that come up about once a month. That is probably the cheapest way to go.

You don't say how long your driveway is, so you may want to get a backpack sprayer if you have a long one.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

It is amazing isn't it...? Grass grows so well in gravel... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I have the same problem but I found the trick was to stay ahead of it before it gets out of hand.
    Have you thought about TAR & CHIP ?
    Our rural roads around Tenn are done this way. In fact I have been considering that myself for my driveway to keep the grass down. It is the cheapest long term alternative.

I rip mine out with a box blade, it does not cost anything but tractor fuel, and takes about 30 minutes.

I try to drive on the edges of the driveway to discourage grass from creeping in from the sides and like wise a few spots where grass is in the center of the driveway crown. It doesn't help much but gives me the illusion of doing something (like a pacifier.)

I vote for the chemical solution as being cost effective. Roundup or better yet the equivalent in performance but cheaper to buy generic glyphosate containing brands are worth considering. I will have to be spraying some of my drive way soon.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yep. You can buy the same stuff for about half the price if you don't insist on the word "Roundup" on the label.

Although not my driveway, I have some gravel areas around buildings and such. I use the round-up (or similar). For esthetics (since a lot of mine are taller weeds), I wait about a week (until it's good and dead) then go around and hit them with a rosebud torch, something like this to make them disappear.

I have had good luck with the "Ortho Complete Vegetation Killer" in the past. It lasts for a year and is a way lot cheaper, about $20.00, a gallon, + or -, than Roundup or Remedy. Since your not growing anything in your driveway except unwanted weeds and whatever else might grow in a driveway, I'd say go for a complete kill.

I hate weeds
    Dick