Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: grilled corn on the cob?

Re: grilled corn on the cob?

Now we know - three years building or was that cooking???

Egon

It's hard to get a house built when you prepare and eat lunch from 10:00 'til 12:30 and dinner from 3:00 'til 7:00 [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

And that's not countin breakfast and coffee breaks! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A Ford truck just drove by.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now that you have tried what these "OLD FARTS" suggested.... and failed... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Ya might want to something that has worked well with my family for years... [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Shuck the corn, butter it and add salt...
    Wrap it with foil to seal the corn and put on the grill.
    Remember to turn it every couple of mins and in about 15 mins you will have hot steamy corn on the cob already with the fine taste of butter cooked right into it ... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

We do corn in the shucks, and without. It's kinda like meat, ya gotta check them now and then. Out of the shuck doesn't have the moisture, and seems to take longer, but as others have mentioned, the carmelized sugars are great...

My Mom, and me, and now my wife, like to do foil veggies. We like to take whatevers fresh, slice it, add some sliced onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, oregeno, ect. Place on foil. Add a dash of soy suace or sherry. Fold it up into a little package. Throw on the grill... It's nice to cook it all, veggies, meat, ect on the grill to keep the house cooler.

Now, Reynolds Wrap has the foil bags for doing this. My family has done it for years though.

Pat, I want to eat at your house, that sounds like my kind of food.
    We went from here to TX on a trip in april and then went up into OK for a few days, stayed in Witchata MT Wildlife Pres. then on to OK City for a few days. We went to a steak house resturant while there and the oddest thing was when I order a beer the waitress asked if I wanted a bottle or a draw. I had never heard the term "draw beer". Here we say bottle or draught, pronounced "draft". Another couple that went with us and I still kid each other and when they come over or we go over to their house ask each other if we want a draw beer. Is that common in OK or just the area around OK City?
    I'm going to give the grilled corn a try again this week, and will check to see if the corn is tough before I grill it this time, Later, Nat

Nat, the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge is an area I visited many times when I was a teenage and lived within 30 miles of it. Both "draw beer" and "draft beer" are fairly common terminology in both Texas and Oklahoma. And the only time I tried ears of corn on the grill, I either left them too long or had too much heat, because it destroyed them. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Maybe it was because I had bottled beer at the time. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Nat, Draught beer is drawn beer. A draught animal draws a load. Water used to be drawn from a well. Long before kegs of beer were pressurized with bottles of CO2 they were manually pumped by the mechanical action of a lever handled pump which is currently imitated wth "disguised" valves that are made to resemble the original bar top pump handles.

When I was in England I saw my first REAL draught beer where the barman actually pumped the beer up from a keg under the bar. Most so called draught beer in the US is kegged beer that is pressurized with a CO2 bottle and a pressure regulator. Beer is dispensed by opening a valve disguised as a pump handle. There may be some places where the beer is actually mechanically pumped in the US but I haven't seen any.

The WICHITA preserve is near Lawton where I have an aunt and a cousin. I have visited it many times. Great opportunity for bison pictures.

Did you by any chance visit the stockyards and its FAMOUS STEAK HOUSE that once changed ownership in a card game.

I guess OKC is better than not visiting Oklahoma but it sure isn't representative of the majority of the state.

I have an aunt and cousin in Woodruff, NC also (sister of the aunt in Lawton, OK. I was amused to find that one county in NC grew more peaches than the entire state of GA which is THE PEACH STATE.

You shouldn't be so surprised about odd naming conventions, i.e. draft/draw/draught... My recollection of NC was the odd names for things such as headache powders (aspirin in powdered form instead of a tablet and the word cracker used to mean a cookie (some said sweet cracker but most said soda cracker to indicate a saltine instead of a cracker (cookie.)

I think sweet corn in stead of just corn is a universal southern thing.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I grilled some more corn on the cob this evening and it was great. I shucked and silked it then wrapped it in al. foil with a generous pat of butter. I turned it every couple mins and it was gooooood! I grilled a couple chicken breasts and Vickie fixed us a salad, we put some Tony Roma BBQ sause on it. For dessert I had peaches and cream. For break this afternoon I had some ice cold watermelon. That's walamelon for the rest of you from NC. Life ain't bad is it?
    Later, Nat

Nat, Elocution, enunciation, and all that...

Here is the correct phonetic spelling... Wah Mellon

and if you find a native speaker who says wah mellon you'l probably hear then say frad chicken too.

By the way, where do you stand on the tomato based sauce question? I believe that if BBQ or other sauce is tomato based that it is for adding after cooking or at least after the last time the meat is turned so it never "sees" high heat and breaks down.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"