Thread: Got Swat, how to put it on?

Got Swat, how to put it on?

I know that this is going to "one of those questions" from a newbie. I was using a fly spray but it wasn't doing the job and it was suggested that I get Swat to put on the sore and by thier eyes and on thier noses. I got the swat on the sore area, I put it in a circle around his eyes and on the tip of thier nose, now my two horses look like the Target dog, w/ a cold [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . Did I do this right, The eyes, I'm worried about putting it too close. Whats too close? Can anyone help? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Got Swat, how to put it on?

Well....I admit thats a new one to me. Swat is good for wounds but I sure would not use it for anything else.

For faces we use the same spray we use on the rest of them. Just spray some in your palm and gently wipe it over thier face. For eyes I just get a good dose on my hand and then slowly run it over their eyes. They will close them and it allows you to get it right up to the eye and not in it. I will even run a second round around the base of the eye. Same thing works on ears (inside and outside).

If you mix your own spray from concentrate you can run it a bit heavier for faces.

There are even products that come in a "wipe" that does the same thing.....although its pricey.
    Mark

Mfaley-I knew I could count on you to help me out! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

DON'T PUT SWAT ABOVE THE EYES!!!!!! It will melt right off and burn in there eyes. Below the eyes and on the nose is fine.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] OMG! I'll be back in a minute! Running w/ RAG!
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

If you want to protect their eyes from flies, use a fly mask.

I do the same as everyone else, spray some fly spray in my palm then wipe it over the eyes. Fly masks are the best bet.

We buy the concentrate and then mix it up ourselves in spray bottles, much cheaper that way.

I normally don’t apply SWAT to any part of the horses face unless there is a good reason. Even if it’s under an eye I have seen horse rub their face against the inside of their front leg and smear it all over.

For sure if they have a wound, even on the face, you should use it but I would try to keep it off their face unless needed.

No argument on the fly mask if your horse will tolerate it. If not, then you can use a slightly stronger fly spray on the face. Put it on first, do the rest of the horse and then do the face again.

Mark