Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vinyl Horse Fencing

Re: Vinyl Horse Fencing

BIrd, The movie version of the "Grapes of Wrath" is one of the primary sources of "information" that shapes the general impression many folks have of Oklahoma. It is almost as accurate of a way of learning about a state as watching "The Wizard of OZ" to learn about Kansas.

Western (shoot'em up) movies supposedly set in Oklahoma or the Indian Territories prior to statehood frequently have large high mountains or even snow capped mountains in the scenic shots. I'm sure you recall all those magnificent ranges prior to their inexplicable loss (can't seem to find them on maps or by driving or flying.)

While searching these days one may see lots of horse property fenced with vinyl fencing, though.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yeah, Pat, I think I've been in all the Oklahoma mountains and never did find those snowcapped peaks. Guess I just wasn't a very good explorer. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And I know where there are quite a few very nice looking vinyl fences down here in our area; sure look good, but I don't recall seeing any livestock behind any of them. They all seem to be for decorative purposes only.

Bird, I see lots and lots of horses behind vinyl and some cattle. A few barbed wire scars don't seem to degrade the McDonalds experience and it is cheaper if you have cheap help for maint and chasing "out" stock.

I don't think the boys into stockers would be into vinyl. I eventually expect to take out the barbed wire in front of the new house and extend the "lawn" a hundred yards or two toward the north to "capture" some big pecan trees and fence it with vinyl. I will go with the price performance numbers but expect to buy less expensive vinyl and supplement it on the "stock side" with a hot wire. I don't see me getting into "stockers" so I don't need BUFFALO rated fence.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

even snow capped mountains

Global warming!!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Global warming... so much for the snow but what happened to the big mountains?

Plate tectonics, subsisidence resulting from depletion of underlying fluid strata's, and the howling wind slowly eroding the tops.

Not to long ago the Mississipi flowed backwards for a spell just as an example of what can happen in nature.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, Ahh, plate tectonics... I briefly (1 year) in about 1969 worked for a PhD geologist whose speciality was plate tectonics. He was classified as an oceanographer at the lab where I was employed as a student assistant (undergrad physics student.) I did analysis of underwater acoustic signals for him and learned about P-waves and S-waves, and such. Plate tectonics wasn't universally accepted yet, back then.

I got my first credit in a published scientific peer reviewed journal working with him. It was the JUA (Journal of Underwater Acoustics) and was classified. I helped him analyze underwater acoustic signals that we used to triangulate air burst H-bomb test shots by the French about 850 nautical miles from thte capital of Tahiti. They were blowing up Mururoa and Fangataufa, a couple of their coral atolls. We used hydrophones offshore from Midway island, Kaneohe bay ofshore from Ohau Hawaii and Wake island locations. It was neat stuff back then pinpointing an H-bomb from underwater sound detected over 4000 nautical miles away.

Some of this same technology (much improved) can do subsea quake/tsunami generation detection.

Just this evening I was reading in a journal just received about subsea trenches and ridges shaping and steering tsunamis. It seems they can be focused or difused by subsea topology making large but predictable variations in their observed magnitude as they reach shore.

To my knowledge vinyl fencing is of little value in protecting shorelines from tsunamis.