Thread: Centipede Grass Seed

Centipede Grass Seed

About the end of May I seeded my yard in Centipede. I live in Northwest Louisiana. The seed has been very slow to germinate. Has anyone else used this seed? If so what was your experience?
    Harold

Re: Centipede Grass Seed

I seeded a side yard with centipede about thirty years ago in central Mississippi. The first summer I couldn't see much results... in fact I didn't think at the time that any came up. The second year things got better, and the third year I had sod established.
    I've always hated to trim with a string trimmer or edger, so I soon had centipede growing out onto the sidewalk and drive in places. As I removed these blocks of grass two or three times a year I would plant them in my back lot in a "checkerboard" pattern. It seemed that this got faster results than the seed.

Thank you ,turnagerg, for your comments. I have about 20% coverage max so far. I feel better about the seed after hearing from you.
    Harold

An older wise man suggested we plant Centipede, but we're going with Bermuda/Rye mix this weekend on our 3 cleared acres, because we want to prevent the erosion of our tiny hills here in S LA. Loved, Helen

I don't have centipede, but burmuda, which is probably similar. Coverage from seed the first year didn't amount to too much, about 30%. We ended up the next year with probably 75%, and this year we are approaching 90%. I also take sprigs from the flower bed and driveway and replant them in bare spots. I put annual rye down last winter to control erosion over the winter.