Thread: When to seed Winter Rye?

When to seed Winter Rye?

My pasture is in the Texas Gulf Coast area. I am having a brand new pond dug. To minimize erosion, I am going to seed in and around the pond. Should I seed with Bermuda, or should I seed with Winter Rye? Also, if not now with Winter Rye, when should I seed with it for the winter?

thanx

Re: When to seed Winter Rye?

Boy, this is an old thread. I have a big yard (5 acres) and a pond at the bottom of the hill/yard. We just put out 300 lbs of rye seed in two seedings spread about 2 weeks apart. I live in central LA and we get gullywashers. One year the pond was really green. Now is the time for the South to plant rye. I use a 50 lb spreader behind the four wheeler. Works good. cheers

When you plant (overseed), do you use a lilly type spreader and do you need to dig it in?

I use a broadcast spreader. I am thinking that next year I will do the same, and then afterward, "rake" it in by pulling some cyclone fence with a cinder block on it over the re-seeded area using my tractor.

I`ve been overseeding rye for years. Many years(about 20) I planted a few acres by hand spreading and no dragging afterward. The grass was slow to come up but did great. Now I have a tractor and drag the land out with a chain harrow before and after spreading seed. Besides being much easier and planting more land quicker, the grass comeing up quicker is the only difference I`ve noticed between dragging or not dragging. South Mississippi I plant anytime between August and first weeks of January,the earlier the better.