Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pond

Re: New Pond

I guess it is a little late now to re-think the depth of the pond. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The "dead water" area at the bottom is a definite concern. I am going to do a little more research on that....

roujesky, Unfortunately the "gool ole boys" who dig ponds get paid by how much dirt they move and it is not in their best interest to "know" too much. There are ways to offset the potential problem. You could install a drain pipe to control the depth where you want it. This would have the added benefit of allowing you to raise the water level over the years as ponds do tend to silt up and get shallower. If you start right out from the get go aerating the pond then you might avoid the problem.

Again, no bio or location info, so no way to give specific advice. If you have adequate flow through (pond is always overflowing) that reduces the problem. If you have adequate average wind during all months of the year you can run a wind powered aerator, sort of a windmill that pumps air.

It is not enough to just stir the water, you have to introduce more air into solution. The water-air interface surface area is a major factor in how much gas exchange there is. A larger volume withougt a comensurate increase in surface area reduces the gas exchange.

In Ohio there is a place called "Blue Hole" where water flows up out of the ground from a vertical section of "cavern." It is crystal clear and has no visible plant or animal life in it. The stream that carries the water off has water wheels installed in it and the flow of the stream rotates them and thrashes the water pretty well. this adds air to the water which permits the nice trout in the stream to survive, but only downstream of the aeration.

Sorry to have added to your concerns but it is better to know the truth up front rather than to be blind sided by problems later. You know what they say... "Know the truth and it will set you free... and if that doesn't work, try prunes!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

How deep is 'too deep'? We're planning a pond, ourselves, once our home is built. What I've read is that if it's too shallow, you get overrun with plants. I haven't read anything about 'too deep' yet. We are planning on putting in a pump or two (depending on how big the pond is), and having the pum(s) on a separate solar panel right by the pond.

'Too deep' is a relative term. If the main objective of your pond is fish, then water below a certain depth may not have enough oxygen for fish to live. The term is stratification. There are various means to overcome this; by mixing the levels of water. There is a lot of information available out there. A good place to start is Pond Boss magazine.

Too deep? Talk to a qualified aquaculturalist recommended by your county extension agent (not just taking the agents sugestions as he means well but...) Too deep and you will have "dead water" at the botom and if/when it turns over dead fish on top!

Aeration is a prevention and ou can go as deep as you like wth enough.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: New Pond-- more pix

Here are my latest pix of the pond. Got some rain, so it is slowly filling with water.

here is another view. I spread winter rye to minimize erosion.

Here is the raised area for the barn. More winter rye to control erosion

There is about 2 -2.5 feet of water in the pond. Do you think I should start putting some minnows in it??