Thread: pellet insert

pellet insert

I am considering purchasing a pellet insert. I've been looking online at two Breckwell models, P22i and P23i. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models? I've also been told that I need to line the entire chimney and then I've been told that I only need to run up 5ft. How do I know what is correct? Any information about pellet inserts would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: pellet insert

Can't help but suggest you check with local codes and insurance company to see what is required for the installation. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Codes may vary from location to location and insurance may vary as to how much the stove is used.

Egon

Thanks for the info. I have checked with my insurance company. They said that since it is an insert that it is considered part of the fireplace and that I could even install it myself. I had checked with a few chimney sweeps and they are the ones who told me different things. I am having a hard time finding someone to install it. There are two local companies that sell inserts and they want me to buy from them, but they will cost about $2000 more than ordering it online. My insurance company said that they consider an insert safer than a fireplace so thankfully it won't increase my insurance premium.

Last year we had a wood burning fireplace insert installed.

30 feet of six inch flexible stainless steel pipe was around $600 dollars. I had the people from whom the insert was purchased install the liner and stove. This was done just for insurance purposes as the installer is certified.

I had prepared the fireplace for the instalation. Stove took maybe an hour with most of that time spent hooking up to the chimney liner. The liner had been previously installed. Took a little over an hour with most of the time spent on fabricating the flue cap.

Egon

Did you notice a difference in your heating bills after you installed it? We installed a new furnace two months ago, but with the talk about how gas is supposed to go up, we are thinking about getting the insert.

A very very rough estimate would indicate about 15% reduction in fuel oil last winter. The insert was not fully utilized.

Cost of wood is not included.

Egon