Thread: Hunting Season 05

Hunting Season 05

Who's ready for deer hunting season?
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Hunting Season 05

Aparently the deer are getting ready. There were two within 75 feet of my mom's living room window this morning at 0900. I saw BIG BUCK tracks within 20 feet of my garage a few days ago. Are they scouting us out? A bobcat was cavorting in the same fileld a couple months ago. Apparently they take turns. A bobcat isn't much danger to any deer but a defective one or maybe a doe in labor or an unaccompanied fawn the first week or so.

I have been thinking of having a timed release feeder about 200 ft from the back porch of the new house. I would pLace it near a wooded sheltered spot nearly a quarter mile away with good cover and move it by stages closer until it is within a couple hundred feet of the porch. The area I would progress through has fairly high deere traffic so I shouild not want for customers.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

It seems like the only day I don't see a deer is a day when I am sitting in my deer stand, freezing and waiting for the deer.

You're right. I swear, I think the deer have a sixth sense and can tell when you are in the stand. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Deer season's right around the corner but I got this nice pheasant yesterday.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...SmallImage.jpg
    Livin' the dream.

Miss pheasant hunting back in Illinois when I was younger. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

Moving the feeder is good idea, not to just get them closer , but chronic wasting disease is increasing in the US, and can spread by deer feeding in the same area repeatedly. While I have two feeders, I spread feed either by hand or ATV, over a 4 acre field in paths mowed in the high grass. After a path is used for a week, I then move to the adjoining path about 10 feet over. The deer seem to stay longer in the high grass than in the open. Most electronic feeders use a 6 volt battery with alligator clips in which the contact points seem to oxidize, causing intermittent operation. I solder wires onto the contact springs and crimp automotive connectors on to the wires on the electronics and the battery wires. I have extra battery wires made up and just solder them on a new battery in the warm basement, then just swap out the battery at the feeder. Also after changing the battery, it will take the electronics a day or two to reorient itself
    to the light levels of the day. I have seen deer do a quick turn after smelling corn and go right to it, no matter how much grass or leaves is obscuring it.