Thread: centepedes

centepedes

Does anyone know of any natural way to deter centepedes from coming into my house? My two cats have been chasing them all over and I am afraid that they will eat one soon. My husband thought it would be a good idea to smash one. It squirted blood all over me. So any ideas at all to prevent these bugs from coming into my home would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: centepedes

Egon was too shy and bashful to reply directly so I am relaying the gist of his private message to me...

"Cut all the legs off the centipede on one side and they will run in circles and not come in the house."

Personally, I'd use a paper towl between the centipede and my foot and try not to worry too much about the mess.

For unattended success you might want to check the lists of bugs on the insecticide packages to see what to treat with. Google might help too.

If you like being GREEN you might be interested in a natural control. Centipedes are prey for some species of scorpions so by raising or otherwise encouraging a healthy resident population of scorpions in and around your house you can reduce the centipede problem while avoiding the EVIL CHEMICALS and you'll also help reduce the nations dependence on foreign oil.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I had centipedes in another house and they didn't seem to affect the cat when it caught and ate one. I was told they feed on spiders, so they could be beneficial in that respect.
    I would do what you need to do to dry up the basement, as I think dampness attracts them, or maybe if you sprayed some spider control (Viper is what I use) on the inside of the walls that would kill them or help control them.

Thanks for replies. We don't have a basement. We have brick ranch on a cement slab. Maybe that is why I am having more trouble with them. My main concern was if the cats ate them that they would get sick. I was told that they are poisonious. Do you know if there is any type of flower or plant that I could plant outside that might deter them? Thanks for the tip to check google, I never thought of that. Thanks again.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Do you know if there is any type of flower or plant that I could plant outside that might deter them?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Venus Flytraps???
    [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

centepedes

Hello! I live in miami,arizona and recently I have been killing 8 to 12 inch long centepedes. Well in the mean time I am like Tottally grossed out aside from scared as you can imagine. They are kinda hard to kill depending on size!?! You can even hear them crawling can sombody give me some ADVICE on what to do ????

If you make them take off their shoes before they come in the house, they will stop bothering you. It just takes too long, and they decide it's not worth it.

Well, at least it will slow them down!

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

*grins* I'm SURE that would work. Uh huh. RIGHT. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    ~ Raising Show Quality Netherland Dwarfs in Virginia
    ~ http://thebriarpatch.thestrawbearypatch.net/