Thread: Looks like she'll make it

Looks like she\'ll make it

The first question is whether I should have posted this under Livestock or Pets.

One of the 4-month-old chickens was on the ground, covered with fire ants. She couldn't walk. Jazzmom takes a trip to the vet. (I'll interrupt myself here: some may ask, 'why would you take a $1.50 chicken to the vet?' I guess it was the right thing to do.) Anyhow, back to the story. The chicken was snake bitten on the foot. We have been administering antibiotic and she is back with the flock, running and playing as usual.

So, if I'm calculating all our costs correctly, that first dozen eggs will now amortize out at $632.15. But, they're supposed to be so much better than the store-bought variety!
    I'll let ya'll know. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: Looks like she\'ll make it

You are not alone. My dog grabbed a young guinea fowl but dropped it when I yelled at him. The poor guinea had a broken wing, so my wife took it to the veternarian. A $2.00 bird with a $200 dollar bill.

My sympathy meter just pegged on zero.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

You guys both did the right thing. There's no price limit to prevent one of your animals from suffering, even if it's just a chicken or guinea hen.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."