Thread: Old used band mill

Old used band mill

I have the opportunity to over pay(??) for an old used band mill. The mill will take at least 18 inch logs, I think it was larger. I used it to mill the native cedar I logged about two years ago. It has been sitting uncoverd in a pasture for several years and it was involved in a grass fire before I used it. I did some rewiring to keep it working as it quit while we were doing my logs.

It has a couple reversible hydraulic motors that worked last year. One sends the saw down the bed to slice the log and the other raises and lowers the blade to determine board thickness of each successive slice. The gas engine is a 20 HP Onan twin with electric start and it ran OK last year. The bed holds a 20 ft log OK. There are some dogs to secure the log (the owner's son and operator) didn't waste his time using them.)

The water drip system needs work as do the roller guides but it is probably useable as is. It is unlikely that it has been started since we milled my logs. I know that when new a saw like this would have been pretty pricey but it has been quite a while sine this saw was new or in near new condition.

Anyone want to take a quess as to what something like this might be worth? The owners ex wife is a friend of my wife and tells me that her ex husband is interested in selling the mill. As a potentially interested person, she told me.

As a comparison point: a new manually fed and adjusted 6 HP mill that is smaller and slower is $2500 + freight.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Old used band mill

Pat, I don't know what it's worth, but it sure would be handy here. I can but old Frick circle mills here for nearly nothing, and that is just what they are worth. I had a friend sell his belsaw Band mill, no hydrolics, and the cable system that moved the saw was inoperable, had a 14 HP tech. engine and he sold it for 1600.00. Not apples tpapples, but food for thought. Later, Nat

Nat, This guy is asking $3500 (what he paid before it was in a grass fire, left out in the weather for a few years, etc.) but I think it is tooooo much, considering.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sounds like a can... no a drum of worms... Besides, good mills go on sawmill exchange and ebay daily... I'd try sawmill exchange first, Ebay rates go wonky on occasion.

Posting this on the Forestry Forum along with some info as to brand will get you some more concrete answers.

I called Bill Reeks in Cromwell Ky, bought a set of plans, and made my own sawmill, bandsaw style. I later made a sharpener and a set for the teeth. Works , and cost less than $700 for all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This guy is asking $3500 (what he paid before it was in a grass fire, left out in the weather for a few years, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel you are right. That is way too much for what it has been through. I don't care what kind of equipment it is.

In fact, he might should consider paying you to get that paper weight out of his field.

Just my opinion.

Bryan