Thread: driveway repair

driveway repair

Hi everyone,

my husband and I are new to the country living. It has been beautiful so far. We have a gravel driveway to get to the barn. It was made 2 years ago and already looks like it needs some repair. We want to put more layers onto the existing driveway. We don't know what kind of gravel to use. I think baserock. I husband disagrees. I also think that I might need to put some top sand over the gravel for smooth driving. Please help. Thank you very much.

Re: driveway repair

Crusher run (with fines) is good for driveways. The dusty looking portion gets into the small spaces and with a little water over time will pack down and become almost like concrete. I have never seen anyone recommend sand to be added to a driveway.

Crusher run refers to crushed limestone. If your original driveway was prepared properly, not just gravel poured out on top of the ground, adding more "crusher run" is a good thing, especially if you don't have any potholes or serious drainage problems. Just filling a low spot with gravel DOES NOT HELP, long term, as it will still hold water and soften the substrate, subside and require an endless round of refilling. You must pack some clay or other good substrate material into the cleaned out low spot and then cover with crusher run or your favorite material (other than sand.)

It is good for the drive to be slightly higher than the surounding region and either have a sloped or crowned surface to shed water.

If you got two years of use without maint, you didn't do too bad, depending on your soil type, rainfall, etc. If you want it to last longer between repairs, PAVE IT. Gravel drives require maint. A "stitch in time" is very appropriate as regards gravel drive maint. The best time to do a litle maint, on an otherwise properly constructed drive, is just before it needs it. Little touchups prevent major reworks.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"