Thread: Nag

Nag

One of the primary tools I used to get my sixteen year old son to pile on a bus and travel 1200 miles to visit me here in Texas, was the deer.

"Wait'll you see 'em." I kept saying when we spoke long distance on the phone.

"What's so special about 'em?"

"Well other than the fact that they're everywhere, they're big."

"Yeah, right ... whatever."

He had seen Florida deer and South Carolina deer, and despite the fact that I kept telling him that everything is bigger in Texas, he never quite believed me. I picked him up at the bus station at almost midnight and on the drive home it was ...

"Where's the deer?"

The next morning he got up at about eight a.m. and went for a walk.

"I didn't see a deer one." He said when he returned.

"You will." I promised.

Another day went by with no deer sightings.

"I don't know if I can handle all these great big deer." He said sarcastically.

"Just give it a little time." I replied.

The following night we were going out to Comanche Campground to meet some family and camp out for the night.

"Wait'll you see the fish." I said, automatically.

"Here we go again." He chuckled.

It was about seven-thirty p.m. and we were headed out 1431 when he yelled ...

"Stop the truck!!"

"What? What is it?" I glanced at him and hit my brakes and began to slow down. He had gone white as a sheet and was shaking all over. "Are you sick, son?"

"No! Please just turn around! Please?!"

"Jake, what is it?"

"Mom, either turn this truck around or your going to force me to jump out of a moving vehicle!"

So I turned around and headed back the way we had come. We crested a hill and there on the side of the road was a small herd of deer. What had turned Jake into a blithering idiot was a ten point buck standing majestically in the middle of the little group. Not only had he spotted the deer, he had counted the points on the fly. Now he pointed wordlessly, his mouth hanging open.

"I see it son. I tried to tell ya."

"That's the biggest deer I have ever seen." He gasped.

"I told you if you'd just be patient ..."

"Let me out."

"Why?"

"I just want to get closer."

About that time the herd bounced away into the woods, waving their little white flags as they went.

"I told ya." I repeated. By now he was shaking like a washing machine on the spin cycle and fine beads of sweat had gathered on his forehead. Deer fever is not a pretty thing to watch, and can be alarming unless you have witnessed it before.

Less than an hour later we were at camp and we settled into lawn chairs with my mother and father-in-law to watch my two sisters-in-law pull fish out of the water. They were averaging small to medium in size, some went onto the stringer, some went back in the water.

I could read Jake's face like a road map.

I don't know if I can handle all these great big fish.

"Jake … check that rod over there for me?" My father-in-law said, and pointed at a rod and reel that was stuck into the bank a few yards away. My father-in-law treats fishing like a spectator sport. Once he gets his rod set up, he just sits back and watches. Which in this particular instance worked out very well, as Jake started cranking on the reel and pulled out a gaspergoo every bit as long as his arm. He just stood there holding the fish up wordlessly, the fishing line cutting into his hand.

I gazed at him … vindicated.

"I know," he grinned sheepishly, "you tried to tell me."

The rest of the night he spent alternating between sitting with a reel in his hand or wandering the surrounding woods looking for deer. The light of the full moon cast a phosphorescent glow to everything it touched, sparkling off the water like a sea of diamonds cast upon a black blanket. I don't think Jake slept all night, as the full realization of where he was and the immense possibilities of what his life could be like here began to fully set in. I didn't expect to be able to keep him here forever; he had work and his dad waiting for him back in Florida, but somehow I think next time I nag him to come visit, it won't take quite so much effort.

Re: Nag

Cindi, I've lived in Oklahoma and Texas all my life and never heard'em called gaspergoo (never even heard the word) until I got acquainted with some Cajun friends from Lousiana. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Well all I know is that my father-in-law said, "you got yerself a gaspergoo, there."

I'd heard the name, but I had never seen one until that night. It's a fresh water drum right?

Yep, Cindi, it's a fresh water drum. Some people associate them with carp and won't eat them, but they're actually very good, nothing like a carp, and I'll eat every one of them I can catch. When I met those folks from Baton Rouge in '71 and we got to talking about fishing, his favorite was fishing for sac-a-lait in a bateau, and I had no idea what he was talking about, but eventually learned that's fishing for crappie in a jon boat. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] But he also liked fishing in the Mississippi for catfish and gaspergoo, and of course, I asked, "What's a gaspergoo?" He had a little trouble explaining because that was the only name he knew for them.

Cindi, BIrd, (et al) Have you heard of "Bugle Mouth Bass?" Learned that name near the Cumberland Gap.

A few nights ago (my birthday) while driving back to my mom's house from my new house and site of an evening cake and icecream get together for friends and neighbors, I saw the largest two white tailed deer that I have ever personally seen alive in the state.

The car's headlights were sweeping across the field and coming into allignment with the last cattle guard on final approach for the garage when there was the largest buck with the largest rack I had seen "in the wild." The other deer seemed the same body size but I didn't see the head on it and don't know if it was buck or doe. They were headed south at a walk, not running, just outside the yard fence so they may have been in the yard but more likely had been just outside the yard fence where there is a line of 9 pear trees just loaded with ripe pears.

I didn't go catalyptic or even break a sweat as it was all over in an instant but I did enjoy the brief encounter of the venison kind.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I've even eaten a lot of those bugle mouth bass; used to fish for them using whole wheat bread for bait when I was a kid. The last one I caught was quite by accident, fishing for crappie with a small jig in shallow water in the Spring at Navarro Mills Lake. I know they're trash fish, and can live in a sewer creek, but if you don't mind the small bones, and if they come out of clean water, they're pretty good eating.