Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cats in pole shed?

Re: cats in pole shed?

I finally convinced my wife that letting a cat or two live in our barn is not considered cruelty to animals. Well, she sent out feelers for a couple of fixed cats to live in our barn. Now, it looks like we'll be getting FIVE!! I just wanted two. Careful what you wish for.

My question is what are the chances that a couple of these find other homes they like better or find a coyote that is hungry? I have no plans to drive them off, but I do expect to lose one or two to nature. All have been fixed and have shots. As far as shelter, I was gonna get a couple of pieces of plywood and build them a basic box with a small, dog-proof hole for them to get it. Any other suggestions (other than not to overfeed)?
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

Eric, I have seen cats (dumped pets or their offspring) survive multiple winters living off the land with no shelter. I have seen them hunting with snow on the ground. Surely your cats will have a decent chance at survival. I might insulate their box and try to provide water (if none available) and like you said NOT overfeed them. The hardy and smart will probably do just fine. Coyotes don't take many cats that aren't defective.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I find any more than 3 cats creates so much pecking-order angst that at least two or three leave. We have had three for the last 10 years and they still have a fight now and then (all desexed) Without cats, living on a aussie farm, the house gets huge bush rats coming inside, and if rat bait is used they die in the walls and stink for a week. Great things, cats.

aussie-
    Your cats stand on two legs and have pouches, don't they? Sorry, I just had to throw an Australia stereotype at you. What the heck is a bush rat, and how big do they get? They sound down right scary. Are your cats normal sized, or do you guys grow 'em a little bigger there? It's neat to talk to someone clear around the world about barn cats.

We got one last Friday and fixed him up in a stall. I went to check on him this weekend and found out that we already had a barn cat that I didn't know about. He gave the dog a good scare and the chase was on. I'm pretty sure he belongs to the neighbors behind us. I'm hoping the other four we were promised don't materialize. "I hate the smell of cat poop in the morning".
    *** What we've got here is failure to communicate ***

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] No, in fact our cats down here are just like yours- except from that bare patch on their backs ( from being upside down all the time). That pic on the icon is our house, and although it's small you can see that there is plenty of bush around. Bush rats are about a foot long, and what can I say, they are a rat, but a very hardy variety. The ones the crocs, stingrays, dingos, paralysis ticks, goannas, deadly snakes,venemous spiders, sharks and poisonous jellyfish don't get are, of course, real survivors [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Seriously, goannas, a iguna or monitor lezard that grows to around five feet long and with a body a foot thick are a real danger to cats when they are small. They come in the house sometimes after the dry catfood.

We have the same problem... Nice barn, two barn cats, no mice or other critters and limestone screenings on the floor. When the ground froze outside, the cats started doing their thing in the barn... how can I stop that, other than locking them out of the barn? For me, there isn't much worse than the smell of cat mess.

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to stop the cycle, it would be appreciated. We have gotten a litter box and hope that they will use it, but I don't see why they will, when the floor is where they have already claimed as their litterbox.

There are 2 things I know of that can cause a cat to go outside the litterbox. They're really picky about clean litter, some more than others... so it's important to scoop out the waste daily, and change the litter and wash the pan when it starts to get stinky and loses it's ability to knock out the odors. Adding baking soda helps.

The other thing, which I suspect may be the case, if it's just urine that's being done outside the box, is scent marking. If a male is un-neutered, he will spray to mark his terriotory, especially if there are other cats in the vicinity. That makes quite the stink. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Females are known to do it too, but it's far more common in un-neutered males whom will literally get into a "pissing contest," To establish territorial dominance. The only real solution is to get them neutered. It's best to do this when they are kittens because sometimes, once the behavior is established, neutering won't completely eradicate it.

The mice left by the door, are for you. Cats will occasionally bring home a "treat" for their owners.

I always act pleasently surprised and praise the kitties when they do it...( WOW! A Mousie! For me??? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] YUM! How thoughtful! How did you know mousie is my favorite?)
    Meanwhile the cat is parading around, proudly meowing about it's trophy-gift. No doubt giving me a paw by paw description of the successful hunt.
    Then as soon as they're out of sight, discreetly place said mousie outside. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]