Thread: Grafting

Grafting

Does anyone know how to graft pine trees? Any help will be appreciated. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Grafting

Come on folks, this is for school, I do have a time limit here. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm not trying to be rude, but why would one want to graft a pine tree? Typically, a long, straight trunk without branches is desirable. Unless you are wanting to root-graft onto some top stock, but then I still don't see any advantage.
    Maybe it's a Halloween thing? Frankenpine?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cut a "T" through the outer bark and insert a limb bud cut from the donor tree into the "T" so the flaps defining the "T" cover the bud. Coat with grafting compound to seal it up (keeps in moistutre and keeps out bugs and air. Bandage the "wound" and wait. Works for lots of species. This is not where you cut off the root and graft to a hybrid top. This justs adds a limb to a tree.

This is how you get several kinds of applle on the same tree or several kinds of citrus on one tree, etc.

So? Did I just help you cheat on your assignment?

I ask again, can you GOOGLE?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks. Yes, I can and have Googled. But JazzDad, it's actually a science fair project. I had a much better idea worked out but my teacher said it wasn't "original". Please explain how testing different fertilizers on food plots isn't "original" for a science fair project?????

If I can be so bold as to offer an answer in behalf of Jazz... It has been done, done again, and redone. Your tax money has paid to do it a jillion times. There just isn't any appeal left to it (as viewed by your teacher.) Now on the other hand... if you were working for the USDA or funded by them you could be paid to do it again and again.

Maybe he would be happy to see you graft tomato tops onto potato bottoms and harvest from both ends. Ir maybe yo could show how growth hormones are "denatured" by heat. You germinate corn in filter paper moistened with: 1. distilled water, 2, distilled water with growth hormone, 3. DW + GH that has been heated to xx degrees F, same but higher temp, same but even higher temp.

Results will be easily noted. Above a certain temp the hormone will be destroyed and not effect the seedling and that sample will resemble the plain water "control." Other seedlings will be accelerated depending on concentration till the pooint of diminishing returns is passed.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"