Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Log Splitters

Harbor Freight Log Splitters

Does anyone have any expirence or insight with the Harbor Frieght log splitters? They have two models I'm looking at both 24 ton horizontal/vertical units, one with a Briggs & Stratton 8hp for $999.99 and the other with a 9hp Robin-Subaru for 1079.99.
    I must admit I like the prices, if I can save a few hundred thats great, but its still alot of money to spend on a mistake.

Any feed back would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

-dave

Re: Harbor Freight Log Splitters

Dave,

I just took an online look at those splitters.

Although I don't have any first-hand knowledge of either, let me throw out my 2 cents.

I find it interesting that the one with the B&S engine weighs 188 pounds more than the one with the Subaru engine.

I don't see a stand to hold the tongue up on either.

There's no mention on either that it has an auto-return on the valve. Personally, I wouldn't consider one that doesn't have it. It may just be an omission on their site, but I'd check it out.

The most important thing for me when I recently replaced my old splitter was ergonomics. I checked out several splitters and found that the operator area wasn't appropriate for approaching with a log nor doing the splitting. Most of the splitters I tried had the axle, engine... back too far and I couldn't stand where I wanted/needed to for doing the splitting.

There are 4 Harbor Freight retail stores in MO. You may want to stop in and take a look at these in person.

Brian

Most excellent advice! Operator position and ease of use (auto return) are quite important.

Price don't mean squat if you are uncomfortable or in danger while working the splitter.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Which brand/model did you end up with, Brian? And may I ask what type of volumne you are dealing with? Types of wood?

And ... are you happy with your purchase?

I bought a Speeco 25 ton. They're also sold under other names. New Holland is one that comes to mind.

I split mainly cheery, oak and maple with a little ash, beech and elm thrown in.

In terms of volume, I split 10-15 full (128 cu/ft) cord per year.

Yes, I'm very happy with the splitter. I can stand fully upright when splitting and the operators area is the most wide open I could find.

Brian

I'm in the same boat - trying to decide which splitter to get for use at my 40-acre rec property. And I am asking myself why is the Harbor Freight splitter so much cheaper than others? So far I can only find slight differences between the 30-ton HF splitters and other similar splitters I've looked at, including the SpeeCo but I've only been able to look at the SpeeCo first hand. You can get more info about the HF splitters here: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/40000-40999/40146.pdf . You will find that they do have a stand and I read somewhere, although I can't find it now, that the valve is auto-return, which I think is pretty much standard these days. The one thing I see that I do NOT like is the position of the valve. If you are splitting horizontally that looks like either a reach over the engine or a reach over the cylinder from the opposite side. I've done a little research on the Robin/Subaru engine and so far I've read unanimously that they are comparable to a Honda read: better than a B&S. However, I have no first-hand experience with Rogin/Subaru.

So, I am down to do I spend $1100 for a Harbor Freight with no opportunity to physically see it first (local HF doesn't stock them) or spend $1600 for a comperable SpeeCo that I have checked out first hand? I will say the SpeeCo looks like a very well-built unit but I don't know that there is a $500 difference. I too welcome any input from you experienced splitters!

EDIT: More information on the Robin/Subaru engine that is available on the HF splitters is here: http://www.robinamerica.com/engines/...lasso?mdl=EX27

Thanks,

Gary
    40 acres of northern Colorado Ponderosas, Firs and Juniper and a little cabin to hide out in.

home in S. GA, cabin in the middle of 35 acres in WNC mountains

I bought the 30 ton briggs-stratton splitter from Harbor Freight last year. I paid $999 and free shipping. It cranks on the first pull everytime and works great. It has a tongue stand and the valve automatically retracts the ram. If you are not in a great hurry they wil probably be back on sale for that price, if you want the 30 ton unit. The only thing that I didn't like about mine is the wheels. They are built together with the hub, so you have to take the whole assembly off to replace the tire. I highly recommend these splitters. For highway use remember that they have no lights or fenders. But the work great and are fast. I thought about building one but I couldn't see how I could do it and beat their price.

Logan,

Thanks for the information. The 30-ton model is currently $1099+$38 shipping. (30-ton is overkill but at that price what the heck!) I'll be hauling mine on a road-legal trailer to get it to my property then I'll tow it around with an ATV as required.

How do you find the ergonomics of the control lever position? It seems like it would be hard to reach when used horizontally.

Thanks!

Gary
    40 acres of northern Colorado Ponderosas, Firs and Juniper and a little cabin to hide out in.

home in S. GA, cabin in the middle of 35 acres in WNC mountains

I haven't used it in the upright position other that to just try it once. It heavey to flip up. In fact its heavy PERIOD. In the horizontal position you do have to lean over the engine slightly to work the lever. But its no problem. I am short, 5'7" so that may make a difference to some people. I am going to try to attach a photo of it to show a different perspective that what you see in the adds. I thought everything you order from Harbor Freight over the internet included free shipping. Has that changed? Any way all of the metal is heavy and all the welds are excellent. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Thanks again, Logan. I went ahead and ordered one based on my research and your recommendation (no pressure! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) Would still be interested in photos tho if not too much trouble - I'm sure it would help others here as well.

The shipping was technically $8.99 and there was a $30.00 handling charge because it is a "Truck Item".

Gary