Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Log Splitters

Re: Harbor Freight Log Splitters

Slapshot,

There's a couple companies that re-badge the Speeco if that helps find more dealers. New Holland is one.

Gary,

The one thing I found that you may want to check. On the oil reservoir fill cap, there's a breather hole. Make sure it's pointed away from where you stand. When I got mine, there was a bit too much oil and it squirted out onto my leg. Pants survived but shoes were ruined.

Brian

Thanks for the pointer Brian. I've already checked that out - believe it or not I actually read the manual. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] LOL! Besides, I wear old Carhart pants and beat up steel-toed shoes because I've ruined too many good clothes over the years "just taking the new toy for a quick spin." [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Gary
    40 acres of northern Colorado Ponderosas, Firs and Juniper and a little cabin to hide out in.

Thanks for the advice, there isnt a TSC within 100 miles from me. There is a local chain Orschlens that sells a couple, I'll check them out as well.

-dave

I bought a 26-ton unit on EBay. It was a one-year old Yard Machines (MTD) unit and I only paid about $800 for it. The big box stores sell it for around $1400. Last year I cut, split, and delivered 90 cord of firewood. I've done another 50 this year. The splitter has held up very well. I tuned up the 6.5 hp B&S motor once. that's about it. I am very happy with it and what I paid for it.

I got one of the manual 10 ton splitters for building up upper body strength for hockey. That is all I need since I burn mostly swamp maple. I had trouble with it until I drained out the jack oil, cleaned the valves, and refilled with tractor hydraulic oil. I think the jack oil was ok, but I have tractor hydaulic oil on hand. When I get into the crotch wood I get the workout I want. It was a hundred bucks on sale and needs no gas, and I can use it in the basement. I am also designing a plate for the wedge, so I will have a hydraulic press when I need one.

I finally ended up buying a Swisher 28ton w/10.5hp. Only used it a couple times and it works well enough. Kinda awkward to fold up, but otherwise it has plenty of power.
    It was $1399 which is the same price Home Depot/Lowes were selling a much samller Murray/Troy Bilt.
    Plus Swisher is a local Missouri company...always like to help out the local economy.

-dave

Re: Harbor Freight Log Splitters:Update on 30t?

Any updates on the HF 30 ton splitter? I'm looking for a splitter, this one is on sale right now, and I'd like to get some BTDT input from someone who actually owns one.

Thanks!

We recently purchased the harbor freight 30t log splitter for $999.99. I'm very pleased with it's operation, I think it's very beefy and able to split anything I can lift onto the platform easily.

Thanks.
    How are the ergonomics? Any problems with splits falling on the engine/pump? How was assembling this beast?

Thanks again,

I think that's a good idea. I had that log splitter myself but as I am growing a little bit older, I wanted to split my firewood in side of my garage so I needed an electric log splitter and found a good one at www.omegastores.com. log splitter