Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey, stinky water

Grey, stinky water

Hello everyone. We are moving into a house in the country w/ well and septic. This will be our first experience without city utilities. We've only used the water a couple times, as we're not even moved in yet, but when we went there today, the water was grey and smelled really bad. I don't think it was that way the other times we visited the house unless I just wasn't paying attention. The place has been unopcupied for a few months. Maybe it will clear up again with daily use???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    CHRISTIAN AMERICAN HETROSEXUAL PRO-GUN CONSERVATIVE. Any Questions?

Re: Grey, stinky water

Get the water tested and don't use it as potable water till you get the test resuts.

What type of well is it and how is it located in realtion to other houses etc.?

Egon

Not sure what county you are moving to, but you should check with the county health offices about your well...with all the poultry that is raised and processed in NW Arkansas most of the wells have been condemned due to the horrendously high bacteria counts...the last time I visited, all of the once public spring and fountains in Eureka Springs had been fenced off to keep the public from drinking at them...I grew up/still have land in Green Forest/Carroll Co. and the county/Tyson's was forced to run water lines and the hookup of water to all rural residents on their nickel.

egon, I will get the water tested. I don't know what type or where the well is. I'll have to look into that. Looks like I'll be getting a crash course in country living. There's a lot more to it than I thought. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Garey D, my place is off 103 between 719 & 412. Right in your backyard. I was unaware that all the chicken houses polluted well water. I'll definately check w/ the Carroll Co. health dept. I asked the guys at work today, and they said it sounds like the well is just low. ( water has lots of sediment too ) It's been a hot dry summer, and all the ponds on the property are a quarter of the size they were before too. They say it will get better when we finally get some rain. Even if that is the case, I will still check the things you guys brought up. Thank You.

Yet another reason to be concerned is having a well that is quickly fed by a rain. If it is that shallow or gets fed with shallow ground water it could be of real poor quality and subject to lots of contaminates. I second Egon's comment regarding needing to get a test before using it. Beyond the test, you shouldn't use the water untill and unless it has PASSED ALL TESTING. You might want to run a significant quantiy for a couple reasons: 1. check sustainable flow rate and 2. see if it tends to clear up, get worse, or stay the same. There are lots of residential water treatment designs that will make some pretty poor water useable but you need to avoid the "good ole boy" advice and use sound engineering and science to guide you.

I have heard folks say things like, "we been drinking from that well for years and it never hurt us." They could be drinking a low concentration of arsenic or whatever and never know it. They might die 10 years sooner than otherwise and never know the reason because THEY DIDN"T TEST THE WATER.

Water tests are not expensive and SHOULD BE REPEATED at least annually, especially with a shallow well or one that is suspect due to turbid water.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Just one. Has the word about the surrender made its way back in there? Lee signed the papers, the war is over. Welcome to the USA.

I have some relatives in Mississippi who act as if the war wasn't over yet. Quaint anachronisms...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I aggree with Pat, and I'll add that you shouldn't be led by those that have no knowledge of water quality issues or the equipment used to improve the situation. Especially watch out for gossip. As an example here, no one has dealt with the symptoms yet but are more than likely scaring you to death! Be careful of runing the well off unless you understand the potential problems that may cause with the water quality, the pump and the well. Some are expensive to 'fix'.

The gray look can be air bubbles added as you draw the water into a container, and it is if the water clears from the bottom of the glass up. That can also be caused by methane or H2S, neither are a health concern. The odor is caused by bacteria, a Coliform bacteria test (should have been done before purchase) will tell you if there are harmful bacteria responsible. H2S can be caused by sulfate reducing bacteria and shocking the well can resolve that.

You need to find a water treament dealer that is familiar with well water treatment and the equipment used.

Gary Slusser

Thank You again for all the help guys! I absolutely will do what you have suggested. I also absolutely will NOT use one drop of it until all is well! ( no pun intended ) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Pat, yes the word that the war is over made it out here. Then our government got bigger, and greedyer, ( is that a real word?? ) [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] and now act as our keepers rather than our servants. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Therefore, it's about time for another war. Don't get me wrong. I love my country, but I don't trust our government. They are for their own interests, not ours. The U.S.A. is still the best place in the world to live, but it's going in the wrong direction fast. Just my 2 cents since you brought it up.

3lb, I pretty much agree with all that. We need to actively participate in our government as they aren't going to get better by themselves, we need to MAKE them get better by keeping an eye on them rather than getting disgusted and ignoring them. Give them no slack, hold them acountable. Make them take responsibility for their actions or lack thereof. We the people have a responsibility to ride herd on the government and make it our servent rather than our master.

Hope you get goon news on your water quality tests. Even if everything looks good, you need to retest at least annually as you can't always see, smell, or taste deteriorated water quality.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I called the realtor about the well to see what could be done about it before escrow closes. He said that it is simply because the water has been sitting in the pipes (not copper) and tank as no water has been run for a couple months while the house was unoccupied. He said to drain the pressure tank, pour a gallon of purex in the well, turn the pump back on, and run the water until it was clear. The purex would kill whatever bacteria was left as it ran through the pipes. I ran this past a co-worker, and a family freind, and they both said that was correct. So, off to Wal-Mart for purex. (thinking it's some kind of water treatment) When I ask where the purex is, the guy takes me to it. Laundry detergent???!!! There must be some miscommunication so I go home and call the family freind. " Hey I asked for purex and the guy gave me laundry detergent." The family freind replies, " Yeah, thats right. Pour it into the well and run it through." Still seems weird to me, I could understand chlorine bleach, but laundry detergent? Well weird as it seems, everyone seems to agree, so I did it today. After only a couple minutes of running all the sinks and tubs, the water is clear, and doesn't smell. Seems to have worked. I will change the filter, and run a bunch more water, then have it tested.