Thread: New Garden

New Garden

Hello, I'm planning on a new garden next year (240' x 60')
    and need some help... only thing I have done so far is, picked out the spot, and did a soil test with the local extension..... I have a tractor, and rototiller..... One of my first questions is should I somehow destroy the grass before I rototill? ..... Another question is what depth should the ground be tilled?

Any other device owned any aspect of this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

paul

Re: New Garden

If the grass is sprayed with a Roundup type chemical and allowed to die the rotatilling may be easier.

Go as deep as you can. It may take multiple passes.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New Garden

If it's a new garden spot you'll be plagued with grass and weeds even if you roundup before you till. I tilled in a garden area last fall and added a lot of compost/organic matter, but wasn't able to plant and work it this year because of my wife's health... I've tried to keep it tilled to hold the weed seed down but now I'm down to bushhogging it periodically.
    I'm going to be looking into some sort of pre-emerge herbicide that will kill the seed in the soil. Don't really understand how it works but apparently it does.