Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well??????????????????????????

Well??????????????????????????

How'd ya do this summer? I know gardening season isn't over yet. (For a good gardener, is it EVER over?) BUT, Most of the summer crops are about finished.

We had the best tomato crop ever. Had to do a LOT of watering during the dry summer, but results were outstanding.

Peppers did better than usual, Green beans did good. (at least first and second plantings. #3 planting didn't do so well) Sweet corn was way above average. Had no problem with 'coons and deer this year. Ended up giving away quite a bit of corn. Squash did well, so did okra. Peas could have done better.... Onions did good until the real hot part of summer. They seem to be picking back up for the fall crop. Lettuce, spinach, kale, and radish's did about average.

Then there's the potatoes. Not sure what went wrong there. Usually have a good crop, but this years were small, hard, and lots of green spots.

Turnips are up and thriving! Started picking greens from them last week.

Freezer's full. Pantry's full, and I'm starting to make plans for NEXT YEAR!

So how'd you do?
    Carpenter by day, Farmer by night, weekends, days off, spare time, holidays, vacations, ect...

Re: Well??????????????????????????

Our little [ 2x 50 ft. ] driveside garden has just started producing a few ripe tomatoes. About a month late due to cold wet spring. Still awaiting peppers.

Egon

Made a beef stew of sorts this PM from fresh picked banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatos, and cubed beef. Oh and store bought onion, as we didn't plant any.

Water melons in flower bed are blooming like crazy and no prayer of making fruit. If the weather turns cool we will have loads of green tomatos as the plants are loaded and ripening is slowing.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here in California we lost most of our summer. That means my garden didn't quite make it. Toms were Ok as well as bell peppers but lost zukes and crook neck would never quite mature. Plenty of flowers on crook neck but they would not quite grow. Oh well looking foreward to next year.......
    nothing says it better than having a good day.......

We had zuchinni coming out our ears(tried several new recipies)!! Very good results from "yellow" tomatos, lotsa banana peppers and green sweet peppers are just now coming on for some reason. Good watermelon crop(1st time we tried them)...and of course the rhubarb made for several pies. 2nd planting of broc doesn't look too good yet but cauliflower looks good. I always plant morning glorys around my fence and it seems that they are now coming back each year from the previous year's plants/seeds?? Guess I won't need to plant them anymore! I've started a journal for the garden recording results, what beds had what, etc...should help with next year and supplement my senile mind! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've never even tried producing yellow tomatoes, but a couple of weeks ago, we were in West Virginia and one of my wife's brothers had a good crop of them and they were delicious.

I grew them since they are suppose to have less acid...my mother cannot tolerate red tomatos due to the acid but seems yellow are fine in moderation. Blindfolded I don't think I could tell the difference.

Bob, I had no idea about the acid difference. And you're probably right about not telling the difference blindfolded, but since we're back in town, eatin' store bought tomatoes, those home grown yellow ones really tasted good.

MuncyBob, I could tell the difference but both are good. I no longer have a problem with red tomatos but as a kid they broke my lips out so we grew a row of yellow in addition to the reds.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

It seems the yellow ones we are growing are a bit less seedy...but as for taste I can't see any different...but I'm sure there are different types of yellow as there are red and I'm not sure what I have grown....but they are still growing fairly well and I'm hoping to keep them going after the first frost with my makeshift cover on the raised beds....nothing like a fresh tomato on a grilled burger with a beer while watching Sunday football! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]