Thread: Watering a garden with "softened water".

Watering a garden with \"softened water\".

Common water softeners exchange the Calcium ions in the water for Sodium or Potassium ions. I'm a Potassium user myself.

I've built a raised bed for planting some tomatos next Spring. Any issues with using softened water for the garden? Don't believe that there would be as I know some folks use "grey water" on gardens.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Watering a garden with \"softened water\".

Hey, Gary. I've even heard some folks say (anecdotal evidence) that the extra potassium in the water is good for the plants. (Remember the ingredients in commercial fertilizer, NPK?) My only concern is paying to condition the water. Bret

Well, it's only a 8' by 3 1/2' bed so I don't think the cost will matter too much.

When the plumber ran the water for the outside faucets he ran "softened" water to the one by the garage for washing cars and such. And the bed is only 20 feet from that faucet, so using that one for irrigation would be easiest.

I really didn't think there would be an issue, and didn't even consider the added "P" factor. But I told my wife I'd check with the experts on CbN.

Thanks for the input.
    Gary

Wow, expert? That word has never been used to describe me before, unless you count that time it was coupled with nincompoop.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary, I have never heard of any problems with potasium based softened water but have heard of (and had) problums with the sodium.

By the way, I'm still picking a few peppers and some tomatos. I water with water from rural water district (clorinated.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't really think it's an issue, but my lovely wife asked me to check it out, so I came to the experts.

She'll probably have forgotten all about it by Spring. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Gary