Thread: Pigeon Help Needed

Pigeon Help Needed

Since my wife and I tend to rescue 4 legged critters a lot, we're stumped on the feathered variety. Down at the DNR boat launch, there is a banded pigeon running around. No, it's not a dove, he appears to be a Homing Pigeon that got lost. We haven't been able to catch him to get the numbers on his band. Anyone have any ideas, or know of Pigeon Clubs or what ever in SE Michigan, NW Ohio? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

Re: Pigeon Help Needed

Google is one of the best tools on the net.

http://www.speedpigeon.com/clubs.htm

Hope this helps.

Wil

Thanks Wil, Found 911 Pigeon, they told me how to catch Boyd the Bird. We're going to try capture tonight, then turn in the numbers on his band. We just lost one of our dogs of 6 1/2 years this morning, so there's a little spot reserved for a pigeon, if it comes to that! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

The owner of the pigeon will be glad to know what happened to his bird but if he is from very far away may not be interested in recovering it. A homing pigeon that doesn't "home" is pretty worthless to a fancier/breeder. They would be glad to elliminate those genes from their pool.

When I was in grade school and Jr High I had several friends who raised pigeons. I only had barrel nosed homers and never lost a bird although my cocker spaniel gave them some attention.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat and Wil; Thanks guys. I captured the pigeon last night, and got on 911pigeonalert. I managed to track down the secretary of the club he came from. He managed to give me the owners name and number. The bird is from Saginaw, about 150 miles north of me. I think the thing that surprised me was that the owner or the secretary seemed not too concerned. The bird was lost in a race last week, and some of his coop mates wound up somewhere in New York. I really had to press the owner for what to do with his bird. He told me what to feed it and send him the bill, and the next time I go thru Saginaw, just let him go, he'll find his way. I run thru Saginaw at least once a month, so it's no big deal. I guess I thought these guys would feel about their birds like I do my dogs. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

John, I guess you were a bit sceptical regarding my comments of how the owner would not be all fired up over the birds loss or recovery. Now you see how it is.

Are you familiar with the Iditarod race in Alaska? The racers all claim to really like their dogs but losing one or more of their team during the grueling race is just part of the status quo and is not unusual. Ahh, Alaska... Where men are men and women win the Iditarod!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat; It took me by surprise for sure. I thought they would be more like pets than they are. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Oh well, live and learn I reckon! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

John, In the wide spectrum of animal owners, pigeon fanciers are not at the bottom of the heap. They rank well above owners of racing greyhounds. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for the long term prospects of a greyhound on a losing streak.