Thread: wood cook stoves

wood cook stoves

Hi. I'm looking for a wood cook stove for my sugarhouse. Nothing fancy. Small in size with a nice oven. I've been on the net and seem to have hit a wall. Really want the oven for bread products,pizzia etc. Couldn't imagine a better smell then fresh baking bread and boiling sap in the evaportor. Now if I don't burn one of them I'll be fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Thanks,
    Al

Re: wood cook stoves

Check out Lehmans Non-Electric Catalog , Good luck finding a used one. They seem to be like trying to find hens teeth.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Re: wood cook stoves

Alan, Try google on "wood cook stove" and you wiil get a jillion hits. Among them is:

http://www.thevictorianfireplace.com/caboose41c.htm

The cheap one looks to be real close to the last wood stove I used. A friend of mine leased part of a river valley (2500 acres) from the city of San Diego. There was a small cabin on the land which had a wood stove in the kitchen. It was the cook stove and only source of heat in the cabin. It also served as the water heater. No oven, just a fire box with two lids but between that and a coleman white gas camp stove we did Ok when we spent weekends with him. I have a folding Coleman camping oven which sits on a stove to get its heat. It does pizza or biscuits OK but large pizzas don't fit.

Something like this might do you fine:

http://www.thevictorianfireplace.com/hastybaker.htm

This is about as cheap of a price as you will find for a wood stove with oven. It will require a bit more tending than the expensive "controlled combustion" models but if that is OK with your usage it is a bargain.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"