Thread: Sprayer pump problem

Sprayer pump problem

Help! I can't figure out what's wrong. I have a 26 gallon spray tank, powered by a 12v battery. One of these: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...mp;R=200240124 It's worked just fine in the past. But a couple of days ago it stopped working. The pump ran, but I was able to use the sprayer for only about ten seconds before the stream became a drizzle. So it seems I'm losing pressure somewhere. I checked the connections, nothing seemed loose, and even replaced the small tubes from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the sprayer. I also blew air through various connections, in case there was a clog. No luck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sprayer pump problem

Bob, it's a little hard to diagnose without seeing it, but it sounds like a pump problem. Those pumps are a diaphram type pump, very easy to rebuild, and you can buy a "kit" for doing that. However, if you take it apart first, you may find that you don't even need the kit. I had one of the Shurflo pumps for the water system in my RV that would run continously without building enough pressure to turn off the pressure switch and when I took it apart, one of three screws internally had come loose. I also found the same thing in a neighbor's 25 gallon spray rig. If you have the manual for that pump, it's about a 10 minute job, maybe a little longer without the manual. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks, Bird. Looks like I'll take it apart. I can just imagine wondering what to do with "these extra parts" once I get it back together... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Hondo, it's hard to tell from Northern's picture which model Shurflo that is, but all the ones I've seen basically the same. It might help if you have a look at this site. Pick a model and click on it and see an exploded view. And if you have any parts left, you'll know it right away, 'cause the pump won't work. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again, Bird! The picture itself is helpful. I'll let you know how it goes.

FWIT The official nomencalture for those left over parts is "POCKET PARTS." When you are done and there are a few parts left over but the device seems to work... put the extra parts in you POCKET and try not to worry about it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well, the good news is that there were no "pocket parts." The bad news is that I couldn't see anything wrong (no loose screws, gaping holes, etc.). Oh, well...looks like I'll have to get a repair kit. At least the motor runs. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]