Thread: Sediment filters - whole house

Sediment filters - whole house

Anyone familiar with these?

Re: Sediment filters - whole house

I don't know about those brands, but I just purchased one from Wal*Mart for about $25 or so. I think it is an Omni Filter or something like that. We don't have much (visible) sediment in our water, but I thought this will help with the little bit we do have.

I haven't used it yet to tell you how good it works.

Wes

I would be interested in your experience if you get one.
    I have the GE whole house filter from Home Depot. The thing will clog up in as little 2 weeks when the sediment is moving.
    At other times it could go 3 months. I am not sure what's going on down there, but a flushable sediment filter has appeal to me.

I'm leaning heavily that way - I'll sure post if I do. Don't hold your breath, though - I won't likely get to it until August at the earliest.

I've got an Omni filter. It works just fine, but the one on my system (the previous owner installed it) doesn't have a pressure release valve, which makes changing it a hassle. I've just bought a GE filter from Home Depot, and will install it in a couple of weeks when I've some free time. At the very least, changing filters should be a lot easier.

I bought two sediment filters at Lowe's yesterday. The one uses no filter cartridge and has a flush valve at the bottom to dispell accumulated gunk. The other sediment filter is about a half gallon or so in size. Really just a larger version of the typical mainstream sediment or activated charcoal filter body.

I will be hooking them up in series. The water will go through the elementless unit on the way to the replaceable cartridge unit. I hope that this will extend the cartridge life of the unit with a replaceable cartridge. Aparently the filterless unit swirls the water in a cyclonic action not unlike the cyclonic dust collection systems or the filterless house vacs.

The cyclonic unit seems to be free flowing and the large cartridge unit should be low back pressure as well so I am not too concerned with back pressure.

I'll report my findings after collecting sufficient data to be meaningfull.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, were they available in at least a 1 inch pipe fitting?
    I need the extra volume to keep the water pressure up.

What you need to know is the gpm flow rating of the cartridge used.

As to the spin down types of filters, they use a mesh screen and it comes in various sizes. Meaning that to protect the cartridge past it, you have to have a mesh size smaller than the micron rating of the cartridge, or there is no added filtration or protection of the cartridge.

Omni housings are famous for becoming very hard to remove as time goes by. A better choice IMO is a Pentek (was Ametek) housing and one with a pressure relief button or one under the valve-in-head handle. Never use any petroleum based lubricants (only potable water use silicone) on any of this type equipment or its orings. Doing so damages the parts and voids warranties. Orings do not require lubrication, just to be clean and wet. Housing/sump threads should never be lubricated. Doing so allows over tightening of the sump which ruins orings.

Gary Slusser

mysticokra, The large canister type was at least an inch but I don't remember for sure the size of the cyclonic one, for sure. I'll take a look at it later this morning.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

BlueRidge,

Your initial posting is a little short of information. Just sending us to the site is little more than causing us to give an opinion of that particular product or generalization of prefiltration as a water treatment method.

To solve a problem one must understand what your problem may be and how it affects you.

What symptoms are causing you to be concerned with prefiltration? If you could describe that type of trouble you are having, it would be more prudent on our part to offer responsible suggestions.

Let's assume you ARE experiencing some kind of influent water contamination.

That site show filters designed for mild sediment ranging from an occasional flow of light, sandy or flakey particles to a periodical but heavier flow of elements. There is a purge valve at the bottom where the owner must monitor and maintain. These come in different sizes. Their quality is good if they match the problems to be solved.

If you have heavy iron bacteria, mud, sludge, or heavy sand, these will not be very effective unless you maintain them very often.

I could go on and describe additional sedimentary problems and possible solutions, but it's best to hear what issues you are trying to deal with.

Thanks
    Andy