Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the air coming from - news

Re: Where is the air coming from - news

He makes it all up, and we're not smart enough to catch him! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Careful Gary - The fellow in question will be having to buy a new hat or will he just float away? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Well I'm going to have to disagree with the use of an air over water type pressure tank. That dissolved air (oxygen) is absorbed into the water over time and that causes short cycling of the pump, which ruins motors and spins the electric meter.

So to prevent the absorption problems, you need an AVC (auto air volume control valve) and they replenish the air in the tank buy sucking air out of the immediate area around the tank. In some cases that's not a good idea, and they are just one more thing to fail.

Another negative to this type tank is that most well water will have some iron or manganese in it and the air (oxygen=oxidizer) will convert the iron and manganese to particulate matter in the tank, making the water dirty. The air can also support aerobic bacteria, that is not good.

Plus, the vast majority of folks don't like the air in their water.

You can't beat the (modern) captive air precharged bladder tanks. They have evolved over time into the best choice and meet all regulations for potable water use and are equivalent to much larger air over water tanks including all versions of that type. And the bladder type will cost the least while taking up minimal space.

Gary Slusser

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm with Gary on this one. I have been dinking around with hydro-pneumatic water systems since I was feeding calves on the dairy in 1950; and my seven-year-old brain first understood how the water-logged tank SOMEHOW kept me from having enough pressure to get water out to the farthest calf pen. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Later, when I owned pump companies....two of them...... we installed air compressors; tricky little diaphram devices, bleeder pipes on submersibles, differential-activated air injectors, YOU NAME IT; in an attempt to replace the air that was absorbed at the water-air interface. They all worked......somewhat...but they's nothin' like one o' them captive-air tanks.......they put an END to water-logging. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I take your comment complementarily. Regarding "Putting Up Turnip Preserves? Corn Combine Yield Monitoring Systems?" I have to claim ignorance on turnip preserves but could engineer a workable yield monuitoring system.

Years back my bro-in-law labeled me an information junkie. I have an insatiable desire for info that sometimes runs in "phases" like my small plane pilot phase, hang gliding phase, SCUBA phase, sailboat racing phasechery phase, etc etc. He compared me to a little robot in the movie, "Short Circuit" who was always saying "More input!"

The most important thing I know is how little I know of what there is worth knowing and the more I know the smaller I know my percentage to be.

My knowledge is not equally spread. I have watched entire episodes of Jeopary where I answered virtually all the questions before any contestant and then another time I won't know hardly any of the answers.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I've had the same experience watching "Jeopardy". There are certain categories which cause me to draw a complete blank from my memory storage, and it amazes me that anyone could even want to know that stuff. Authors, Greek gods, playwrites, etc. I don't mean to portray myself as a bubba, but sometimes I feel like it when I am watching Jeopardy. What I do in those instances is tell myself that: "Well, they probably don't know their way around a double-rocker Chrysler engine like I do, so that makes us even." [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] This sort of reminds me of that commercial where one guy asks: "Have you ever been through Mach 2 in a fighter jet with the canopy open?" The other guy replies: "No I haven't. Have you ever had Colt .45 Stout Malt Liquor?" First guy: "Er...No." Second guy: "Then we're even."
    CJDave