Thread: Good generator?

Good generator?

Well, Rita missed us. The good thing to come out of it is that my CFO (wife) has approved the purchase of a generator. Now, the question is what brand, rating, etc... Need some advice, what brand do you recommend? I have 2 refrigerators and 1 upright freezer. I would like to connect it to the house (couple circuits only), and be able to take it to my place in the country.
    Any recommendations?

thanx

Re: Good generator?

Get a genny with more capacity than the loads you have mentioned as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow you will want to power more things.

Some nice attributes:

1. electric start. Think wife alone during cold weather etc.
    2. automatic unattended operation. Think lost contents when power goes out and you aren't there.
    3. Designed for long run times with low oil shutoff and big fuel tank
    4. if gasoline, can be converted to propane for safe long term fuel storage.

Reread old posts about generators and try to find anyone happier about their generator installation than Gary by St Louis.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hi Corky :

I have a good website I found stored as a favorite for when I go shopping. It's at http://www.electricgeneratorstore.co...wtobuygen.html

Good luck!
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Our long term plans are to buy a gen set. We have already double-wired the house for that day when we have standby power. Here is my formula for a gen set: 8000 Kw minimum; 1800 RPM; LPG fuel. I just cannot get myself to buy a 3600 RPM unit; the whole idea of that engine dancing a jig out there at 3600 RPM while I am in my house kicking back is unfathomable. I would never be able to relax. I much prefer an 1800 RPM long-life "chucker". [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I love big gen sets and have run hundreds of tests on them. I fell in love with a big 1200 RPM Waukesha that I tested in the basement of a hospital. I could have had that gen set for free a year later but it was "locked in" by a series of building expansions and the guy who took it had to air arc the block into pieces to get it out by hand truck......sniff.....sob....there IS no justice!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I went with the Generac 3600 RPM unit because it offered the biggest bang for the buck.

I agree that the lower RPM units are quieter and could certainly last longer, but it was the best I could do at the time. It was this one or no one. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

And I did buy it from the Elecric Generator Store. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I guy from Indiana told me that there are RV wrecking yards where they have used gen sets at reasonable prices. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave