Thread: What age to start

What age to start

What age do you think a homeschooling education should start? Personally I feel that as soon as your children become aware of the world around them their education should begin. Reading books, teaching colors and numbers and the alphabet can start anytime.

Yes, it should start in the beginning, but a more structured teaching environment should probably wait until the child is of a more traditional school age like around 4. I'm considering the idea of homeschooling my daughter, but she's only 1 now so all I'm doing right now is reading to her, singing the alphabet song, playing with blocks, that sort of thing.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    There is a local place here for us that advertises they can start home schooling as early as 3, to be 4 would be a fine number. Rather than dealing directly with the child's birthday (how public schools do) you could just wait until their 4th birthday to start.

Your child will let you know when he/she is ready for school. It begins the first time you are asked to read a story, when your interject colors and shapes and the names of objects. Formal education in a home school setting will probably start closer to five; but by then, they'll have the preliminaries done. Colors, shapes, names of objects, alphabet song, counting to ten.