Thread: Garbage Eating Animals

Garbage Eating Animals

Hello all! This is my first post here. Seems like a great place to exchange ideas.

I own about 30 acres of small farm in central PA. I am a new horse owner. I have been around horses for alot of years, but this is the first time I have owned my own. I recently bought three horses, and have a new fenced pasture where they will be turned out.

There is alot of multiflora rose, grape vines, etc that I am in the process of clearing from a small part of the pasture. I know from experience that goats will eat this stuff, but I also know that it can be very difficult to keep goats in a fence. I have been told that Llamas or Alpacas will eat this kind of stuff also. The bottom line...Is that true? I am quite sure that I can keep them in the fence. I figure that if they will eat the garbage, the horses can eat the nice graze. But, I don't want the Llamas eating the good stuff. Any experience or ideas are welcome!

Re: Garbage Eating Animals

Arbo,
    Welcome to CBN. I think you will find most of the folks here very helpful.

I have seen folks bring goats in to clear land and, from what I have heard, they do the best job. I also understand that they clean everything out of it starting with the best stuff like grass etc.

The process in our area seems to be, field fence the area you want them in, let them graze everything down, and then replant with the pasture mix you want.

Some folks bring in the fishnet looking plastic fencing with electric wire woven in it that they use to keep the goats in. Once that small area is eaten down they move it to another area. Perhaps something portable like that will work for you.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
    Mark