Thread: Need help with electric baseboard install

Need help with electric baseboard install

Here's the deal. Need to install baseboard heaters. Have the wiring diagram which i drew up and attached below in the link. Was wondering if it was good to have each heater controlled independantly by each elec. thermo. with what i drew. I know i messed up somewhere but not sure how to crrect it. I was also thinking about having 1 thermo control the 2 of them but was looking for the was to connect that up. If someone could take a look and tell me if i am going to burn me house down please feel free to offer your expertise. And if you know how to hookem up so that i can control both off of 1 thermo with less wire running through the walls that would be great also.

Thanks in advance

Photo 1

Re: Need help with electric baseboard install

phoenix,
    Use one thermostat, like in my drawing. It's crude, but you'll get the idea. Use a 2-pole thermostat if possible. Make your splices in the thermostat box or one of the heaters. You can also do it in an accessible junction box if you want.

edit, picture won't attach, I've tried 3 times.

Try again

Looks as though with your diagram the thermostats would short out the heaters. Inspector's diagram shows the correct wiring. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And we know that you know that the thermostat needs to be rated to handle the load of both heaters.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

thanks for your help.

My thermo only has 2 wires, both black, is that bad??? I can live with going to the thermo first but where the 12-2 comes in it hits the first heater by default as it HAS to pass by it, that's why i am wondering if it can go the way i asked, to each heater, then the thermo interupting somewhere along the line, near the floor, as the thermo is like 5 feet in the air, on the other side of a door frame, where the wire runs on top.

here's a sketch of what i have to deal with. As you can see, the incoming 12-2 from the panel has no choice but to go through the/by the first heater (39"), then i would take a wire down from the thermo and meet somewhere in between the 2, or in one, or wherever i need to go. The other heater is 84", the total load would be 2750W, which will be perfect for that circuit, 20A with 12-2, and the thermo handles up to 4000W. Any other drawings helping me do what i want, if possible, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks inspector

A single pole thermostat will work, however I prefer to open both wires, hence a 2 pole thermostat that I suggested.
    Look at the attached vs what you first drew, you're drawing will not work.

Phoenix,
    I got your e-mail but it keeps coming back when I try to reply. Here's the text.....

<font color="blue"> If you enlarge the picture just a bit the second wire
    will show up. You'd need a 2-wire to feed the
    thermostat. It could be done the same way if using a
    single pole thermostat.
    Now if my second picture doesn't make sense, I'll
    explain that if you want, but it's kind of
    complicated. Can be done though. </font color>